• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root GAOSP 2.2 Froyo on the BH2

What specifically is preventing the use of Froyo from GAOSP (Galaxy 2.2) on the Behold II?

I know BH_MAN was able to port the 1.6 Galaxy ROM to the BH2.. I think he even used the 2.6.29 kernel (same as in GAOSP).

Version "2.6.29" only means that the kernel build was based off of the Linux Kernel 2.6.29 source code branch. The source code is then modified and drivers added to specifically handle each device. Android also requries extra features/extensions for its versions (1.6 vs 2.1 vs 2.2).

The kernel we are using for 1.6 may be based off of the same Linux branch as Froyo on the Galaxy, but it is missing those extensions used by later Android versions.

Similary, the kernel on the Galaxy is missing the drivers we need on the BH2.

Without source code its very difficult to go this route.

Upvote 0
What specifically is preventing the use of Froyo from GAOSP (Galaxy 2.2) on the Behold II?

I know BH_MAN was able to port the 1.6 Galaxy ROM to the BH2.. I think he even used the 2.6.29 kernel (same as in GAOSP).

The same exact things that are preventing the 2.1 GAOSP (which is what bhman's 2.1 rom-in-progress is based on) from working. Drivers mostly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones