• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gboard turning off the spellchecker option does not work.

I see some mention autocorrect is not working on Gboard. Oh my I wish it was me. I have had 3 Motorola phones with Gboard, and I am bilingual, English and Norwegian, and Gboard itself works fine for that because it is easy to create those extra 3 Scandinavian letters with Gboard.

The problem is the spell checker. I need it off, gone, completely gone. It makes me nuts when typing. There is an option in the settings on the phones for that, but the button does not work. I turn it to off, and even reboot the phone, spell checker still on, and it is making me frustrated and sometimes angry... having to back 3, 4, or maybe 5 times to retype the words because Gboard has changed my Norwegian words into something nonsense, and in the worst case swearing or profanities, it makes me hate the phones with a passion.

The number 2 Motorola phone I had also started to learn Norwegian, and used it when I wrote English, so it messed up that too. Yesterday I bought a brand new Motorola One 5G, and the same issue, the off button in Gboard does not work.

I guess it just mean that the phone will not be used for keeping in touch with family and friends in Norway.

I could understand it if the Gboard did not come with an option to turn off the spellchecker, but since it does, it would be kind of nice if the option worked.

Bill

I see some mention autocorrect is not working on Gboard. Oh my I wish it was me. I have had 3 Motorola phones with Gboard, and I am bilingual, English and Norwegian, and Gboard itself works fine for that because it is easy to create those extra 3 Scandinavian letters with Gboard.

The problem is the spell checker. I need it off, gone, completely gone. It makes me nuts when typing. There is an option in the settings on the phones for that, but the button does not work. I turn it to off, and even reboot the phone, spell checker still on, and it is making me frustrated and sometimes angry... having to back 3, 4, or maybe 5 times to retype the words because Gboard has changed my Norwegian words into something nonsense, and in the worst case swearing or profanities, it makes me hate the phones with a passion.

The number 2 Motorola phone I had also started to learn Norwegian, and used it when I wrote English, so it messed up that too. Yesterday I bought a brand new Motorola One 5G, and the same issue, the off button in Gboard does not work.

I guess it just mean that the phone will not be used for keeping in touch with family and friends in Norway.

I could understand it if the Gboard did not come with an option to turn off the spellchecker, but since it does, it would be kind of nice if the option worked.

Bill

I cannot offer any suggestions regarding gboard, but perhaps a different keyboard might solve the problem? I've been using Microsoft SwiftKey keyboard for several years and like it a lot, I have two languages active simultaneously, English and Frisian, the auto correct works fine, I can turn it off if I want to, but it works fine for both languages.

Upvote 0
Yes.
I also found G-Board to be infuriating.

Use a different keyboard.
That is the easiest solution.

Swiftkey is fine if you like bells and whistles, and if you trust them with everything you enter with the keyboard.

A few others that are simple, small, and secure that I have on all of my devices are:

Simple Keyboard (Simply keyboard and nothing more) - https://f-droid.org/packages/rkr.simplekeyboard.inputmethod

Tiny Keyboard (the smallest possible keyboard) - https://f-droid.org/packages/rkr.tinykeyboard.inputmethod

Hacker's Keyboard (Four- or five-row soft-keyboard) - https://f-droid.org/packages/org.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard

And one more, just for more variety:

BeHe Keyboard (Hacking & programming keyboard with material design) - https://f-droid.org/packages/com.vlath.keyboard

If you like options similar to G-Board without the issues, Hacker's is where I would start.

If you want simplicity and streamline performance, my favorite is Simple Keyboard.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones