• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Get over 100 paid apps for free right now on GetJar

Something I've noticed in GetJar is that when you're looking at an app there's no indication of who the developer is (unless I missed it). This would seem to make it much easier for someone to upload malware masquerading as a legitimate app. I've always maintained that caution and common sense can keep you relatively safe when installing Android apps, but hiding the developer's name makes this a questionable source of apps for me.

Is the developer's name shown, and I missed it?

Upvote 0
Something I've noticed in GetJar is that when you're looking at an app there's no indication of who the developer is (unless I missed it). This would seem to make it much easier for someone to upload malware masquerading as a legitimate app. I've always maintained that caution and common sense can keep you relatively safe when installing Android apps, but hiding the developer's name makes this a questionable source of apps for me.

What I do before downloading anything from Getjar is I look it up in The Market for opinions and other info just to make sure.

Upvote 0
What I do before downloading anything from Getjar is I look it up in The Market for opinions and other info just to make sure.

But without knowing who the developer is for the app as listed in GetJar, it's an assumption that the developer is the same. In all likelihood this assumption would be correct, but I see no reason to leave the information out of the GetJar listings.

Upvote 0
Eh I don't see the developer's names either which does seem a little strange but it could have to do with saving screen space. On the other hand listing the developer's name really doesn't prove anything. Email them and find out if you really want to know.

They are a legitimate appstore though. They have been around since 2004 starting with providing java apps for feature phones. Since then they have grown to provide apps for all the major platforms except one (guess who).

At the end of the day - you can either choose to trust them or not. Personally I've heard them talked about by sources I trust and that is good enough for me. If you don't trust them that is fine you miss out on free apps and can get your malware from the Android Market directly.

Upvote 0

The developer's name is not shown when you are looking at a list of apps but when you click on an app to see more information you will then see the developer's name as well as some more info about the app. Then you would download from that screen. I did that with a monopoly app I wanted but the developer was not EA so no download. They seem to have legitimate apps and have been around a while.

Upvote 0
Cause they are free. It also isn't accurate that they are not updated. GetJar added the ability for devs to update apps and push it through notifications. This only went into place shortly after Thanksgiving and since then I've received two updates to Beautiful Widgets

Here there fdbryant3! I just started a thread asking about getjar app updates (which I might take down or merge after seeing this thread that I didn't notice). I downloaded a bunch of apps from getjar recently...including Beautiful widgets...but have received no notificationsof any updates available for my apps.

Now there could be the possibility that with the apps I have downloaded there just haven't been any updates pushed...hence, no notifications...but I think that might not be the case.

I was wondering if you know what version of the getjar apk you have installed on your phone?? My version is 3.5.10.325....ABOVE the v.3.5 where app update notifications are supposed to be received by getjar users.

And as an aside, you mentioned...
(as a personal note I regard updates as superfluous when I'm getting the app for free, long as the app works, I'm good).

Just wanted to suggest not being so quick to consider an update "superfluous" even if it is working. Updates might not only add options that your experience and efficiency could benefit from but you might have a "sleeping bug" not yet affecting you but may in the future. In addition, developers will often tweak the "behind the scenes" operations to improve battery life or speed of operation or interaction with other apps! :D

Upvote 0
I was wondering if you know what version of the getjar apk you have installed on your phone?? My version is 3.5.10.325....ABOVE the v.3.5 where app update notifications are supposed to be received by getjar users.

Currently I have GetJar 3.5.10.325 and BW 3.7. As I've mentioned I've seen BW update twice although nothing else (but I don't know if any updates have been released.

And as an aside, you mentioned...

Just wanted to suggest not being so quick to consider an update "superfluous" even if it is working. Updates might not only add options that your experience and efficiency could benefit from but you might have a "sleeping bug" not yet affecting you but may in the future. In addition, developers will often tweak the "behind the scenes" operations to improve battery life or speed of operation or interaction with other apps! :D

As I said in an app I've received for free (to be fair, GetJar pays for the app), I'm not as concerned with the updates except for security bugs. Pretty much all the other reasons I put down to if I want them - then I could go out and actually buy the app if I felt I needed the update.

Upvote 0
Currently I have GetJar 3.5.10.325 and BW 3.7. As I've mentioned I've seen BW update twice although nothing else (but I don't know if any updates have been released.

Thanks for the info...I just checked my BW version and I'm on 3.75. So since I have GetJar v 3.5.xxx, perhaps the reason I'm not getting prompted for any updates is because I don't have any updates to get!

As I said in an app I've received for free (to be fair, GetJar pays for the app), I'm not as concerned with the updates except for security bugs. Pretty much all the other reasons I put down to if I want them - then I could go out and actually buy the app if I felt I needed the update.

Well, hopefully this is all moot with the latest GetJar version....we get the apps for free, the dev gets some money and we get our updates....

Upvote 0
The developer's name is not shown when you are looking at a list of apps but when you click on an app to see more information you will then see the developer's name as well as some more info about the app. Then you would download from that screen. I did that with a monopoly app I wanted but the developer was not EA so no download. They seem to have legitimate apps and have been around a while.

I'm not finding the developer's name anywhere, on any screen. Where exactly are you seeing it?

Upvote 0
Just wanted to add to the discussion (if anyone is interested/following) regarding the "automatic updates" of apps with Getjar. I emailed getjar a few days ago asking about how/when/where the apps are updated and received the following response from "Brian" at getjar:
Hi Scott,

Thanks for reaching out. You'll get update notifications via the GetJar app. While it's not easy to see, the app knows which GetJar apps you’ve downloaded and gives you a notification when there's an update. We're currently in development on a system similar to the ones you described where it will be easier to see which apps you have.

-Brian

So, it appears that the latest version of the app...not a beta or rolling out slowly...should prompt the user with updates upon launching the app.

Upvote 0
I'm not finding the developer's name anywhere, on any screen. Where exactly are you seeing it?

Now I'm confused. I haven't been on GetJar for a while so I went to look after seeing your post and I can't even find the Monopoly game I mentioned in my first response to you. I opened a few other apps and I don't see any developer's names either. I know for sure I saw them that one time since I saw that EA was not the developer of the Monopoly game I checked. Weird.

Upvote 0
I was pretty unfamiliar with GetJar until I met Bill Scott (Senior VP of Sales) a few weeks ago. I had a discussion with him about GetJar, and since then I have started using it.

The apps are now receiving updates. The update process is the same as the android market or amazon app store. It is up to the developer to upload the update to each app store that their app is on.

Developers get paid (unlike amazon's free app of the day) and you get great deals on some great apps. GetJar is a real win-win.

Reactions: scudder
Upvote 0
Personally I only use GetJar for their Gold Star Apps otherwise I am inclined to use the Android Market - although if GetJar gets some exclusives, I wouldn't hesitate to go there.

The expansion of the Gold Star app program is getting to the point that subcategorization could be useful but it still isn't to diffficult to flip through.

Don't see how you can say you can't find any good apps, going down the list I see:

Beautiful Widgets
Paper Camera
Tunein Pro
Days Left Widget Pro
Unlock with Wifi
BeWeather Pro
Tweetcaster Pro
Agenda Widget Plus
Tapatalk
Alarm Clock Extreme
Plenty of Games

Most (some I am throwing in from personal experience) of which I've heard spoke about very highly in other venues.

I don't want to say that Android Market is unsafe however I will point out it is the big market (and thus target) and the one you hear about most pulling apps for being malware. I'm not saying just download from anywhere but other markets can be as safe if not safer in some respects. It is just a matter of knowing who are downloading from.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones