• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Getting Chinese Vivo X9 to work in US

Yone

Lurker
Oct 5, 2020
USA
I was given a used, several-years-old Vivo X9 phone that was originally bought and used in China. I’m in the US and want to know what (if anything) I can do to use it here.

I transferred my (fairly old) Verizon SIM card to it (from my current phone: an iPhone 6S), but when I tried to make a call or text it didn’t work, though it did register my phone number and contacts. The phone is supposedly unlocked.

Also, is there a way to install the American/global OS on it? The Vivo website says you can’t, so I assume it will require rooting (if it’s even possible).

This is the first Android device I've ever used, and I don't have any experience with non-US devices or jailbreaking/rooting phones, so I'm nor sure where to start. Though I have a feeling that it might be better just to get a new phone...

Thank you in advance!

I was given a used, several-years-old Vivo X9 phone that was originally bought and used in China. I’m in the US and want to know what (if anything) I can do to use it here.

I transferred my (fairly old) Verizon SIM card to it (from my current phone: an iPhone 6S), but when I tried to make a call or text it didn’t work, though it did register my phone number and contacts. The phone is supposedly unlocked.

Also, is there a way to install the American/global OS on it? The Vivo website says you can’t, so I assume it will require rooting (if it’s even possible).

This is the first Android device I've ever used, and I don't have any experience with non-US devices or jailbreaking/rooting phones, so I'm nor sure where to start. Though I have a feeling that it might be better just to get a new phone...

Thank you in advance!

From what I've read many times on AF, you can't activate and use an imported phone from China with Verizon. But the Vivo X9 maybe compatible with T-Mobile or AT&T, as it does have some US bands and modes. As for changing the OS from China to International, I'm pretty sure it can't be done with this phone.

Upvote 0
Verizon and some US carriers are using CDMA technology for mobile communications, and the rest of the world is using GSM. Your phone is not compatible with CDMA because it was not bought from Verizon or CDMA phone sellers. The only solution would be to switch away from Verizon and try a GSM compatible carrier.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones