• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting frustrated

excav8ter

Android Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2010
Hey all... so i got the S6 64gb on release, and was immediately underwhelmed by it's battery life, among other things. So i gave the S6 to my son and went back to my S5. All was well until a few weeks ago. Now the S5 is laggy and slow. It also seems to freeze up frequently. It has even been shutting itself off and restarting on it's own. I cleared the cache and it still seems to be acting weird. I am not very patient when it comes to things like that. I have been eyeing an iPhone for a few weeks now, but don't know if that's the right move. I know this is Androidforums, but there are iPhone users here too i am sure. I have never had an iPhone, but i have many friends who have switched and are quite happy with them.
On top of my issues, i can't even update my apps because there isn't enough memory left in the S5. 16gb used to be plenty... now it seems to be the minimum to run Android and have a few apps.

An iPhone will most probably never give you that kind of trouble. It just works. No matter what you do you'll always have a dependable phone that will work normally - no freeze-ups, no shut-offs, no lags, no nothing.
However, it can be extremely frustrating from another point of view. If you're accustomed to the freedom offered by Android, the iPhone will feel like being trapped in a cage. No automation of any kind, almost no customizations. You're OK as long as you use it exactly the way Apple wants you to use it. If you want to do something even slightly different, you're out of luck. And whenever you ask the question "how do I do this on an iPhone" on an Apple forum, perhaps eighty percent of the replies are along the lines of "you can't, but why on Earth would you want to do that? It's stupid!".

I must confess I love the way the iPhone 6 looks, feels, and works. I'm extremely tempted to buy one. But when I think of all the things I can do with my S5 that an iPhone will never be able to do, I give up and forget about it. :)

Anyway, my S5 works perfectly, the battery life is great, it doesn't freeze, there's no lag at all. So the phone itself is very good, and so is the operating system. There's nothing inherently wrong with the S5 and Android. It has the potential to be as stable and dependable and fast as an iPhone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I actually swapped out my S5 for an S5 i had laying around... this one seems to be better so far. I am going to try and be patient until the S7 (?) Is announced. That is not going to be easy for me .... i may buy an S6, 64GB again, just to try it for awhile again. Maybe the S6 Plus. ..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones