Getting the latest OTA updates

Last Updated:

1. perpetually.inquisitive

perpetually.inquisitive Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I had my N1 shipped to Dubai, and so it appears I do not have access to OTA updates.

What would be the best way to keep my N1 up to date with the latest Android releases? Is there anywhere I can download the latest updates from? Can I force the N1 to check for updates?

For example, I cannot see the Google Maps 4.1 or Google Buzz widgets in the Android marketplace, which I assume is because I don't have the latest Android update.

Cheers,
    PI

Advertisement
  2. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

I got mine shipped to Hong Kong and then brought it home to Thailand and I was one of the first to get the OTA update--like, on release day.

3. perpetually.inquisitive

Actually, you're right - as soon as I got my N1 and switched it on, it download and installed an update.

Strange, though, that I can't see these apps in the marketplace. Do you see them?

PI

4. grainysand

Yep, I can see both the Buzz widget and the latest Maps on the market.

5. perpetually.inquisitive

Weird...I don't understand why I can't see them. Which category do you see Buzz under? I've tried searching for Buzz, and see only 5 results, none of which are the official Google widget.

Cheers,
    PI

6. grainysand

I'm not sure under which category it is exactly, but it shows on search result just fine. Weird that you can't see them. :/

Can you see Gesture Search?

7. perpetually.inquisitive

Yup, I see Gesture Search - which I will now check out :)

Seems to be some sort of filtering - though I can't fathom why. Maybe the Android market here doesn't have all the available apps. What's weirder is I scanned the QR code from the Google blog, and the market and barcode scanner apps hung!

Something really weird going on....

8. peadar

peadar Well-Known Member

There is another thread about this. Basically, most people who are not in certain countries -- US, UK, Hong Kong and Canada, you will not be able to see the latest version of googlemaps. I don't know why that is, but I was able to prove it by rooting my phone and then pretending to be in the US. At that point I was able to see googlemaps. However, in my own country, Ireland, I could not see them.

9. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

Perhaps I can shed some light on this.. I've bought this phone in a country that's technically not supported yet either (oops :p) and my market does not show any paid apps, even if I scan the code for the direct link to it (and if I recall, my barcode scanner crashed too the first time or two, not anymore tho).
    So that's just that, I don't have a way of paying for apps here so I can't see them. Fair enough.

But then there's some free apps.. like for instance pandora radio that don't show up at all either.
    So my best guess is that some apps are only available locally or just unlicensed in some countries.

I'm not counting on seeing Pandora here anytime soon, but I'd expect you to get buzz support somewhere in te future.

Mind you, I could be wrong about all this :)

10. perpetually.inquisitive

Yeah, it seems to have something to do with the countries not being in the supported/licensed list :(

I guess I'll just have to wait it out...I can probably get the Buzz widget .apk file from somewhere, but first I want to understand why I can't see it in the marketplace yet.

PI

11. grainysand

But the thing is, I'm not faking my location currently (I could, but I only do it when I want to look at paid apps) and I still see the latest maps and buzz widget just fine. Can't see Pandora, though.

12. peadar

peadar Well-Known Member

What country are you in grainysand?

13. grainysand

Thailand. I doubt google even knows we exist.

14. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

we should be due for 2.2 soon... as all the other android handsets are catching up to 2.1, it's time for our Nexus Ones to get 2.2 :D

15. Teknologic

I can only dare to hope so, I hate seeing all these new android phones getting 2.1 and snazzing it up with sense etc.
    Dammit google I bought your nexus, make me feel special! :p

16. peadar

peadar Well-Known Member

At least you have good food! :)

17. Teknologic

If anyone was still wondering about pandora; if you can't see it in the market, it just isnt available in your country.
    I downloaded it directly from their server through my phone browser (http://pandora.android.s3.amazonaws.com/pandora.apk) and it installs just fine. They just don't provide their service in my country. Too bad =/

18. grainysand

Google maps suck giant donkeys for locating local businesses here. :( But yeah, our food kicks ass and properly cooked, will burn your tongue and possibly incinerate your stomach. Gogogo spice overload!