• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting to know my new tablet

Hi, I hope this is the correct forum for my new tablet - Galaxy Tab A8 10.5 (SM-X200NZAEXSA)

I will probably be asking a few questions as I use the new tablet but can I start with a couple of elementary queries?

1. I dont like the Gmail app and would like to use the email app from my TabA. I am attaching a picture of the app I want to find, can anyone identify it please? I thought it was Samsung email but that is not the case.

2. A minor issue, but maybe someone can tell me if I can increase the size of the numeric keypad displayed when powering up the A8 tablet? The size is about half the size of that on the TabA which I find much easier.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Roger

Attachments

• Snip-it_1656039946741.jpg
    Snip-it_1656039946741.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 103
Hi, I hope this is the correct forum for my new tablet - Galaxy Tab A8 10.5 (SM-X200NZAEXSA)

I will probably be asking a few questions as I use the new tablet but can I start with a couple of elementary queries?

1. I dont like the Gmail app and would like to use the email app from my TabA. I am attaching a picture of the app I want to find, can anyone identify it please? I thought it was Samsung email but that is not the case.

2. A minor issue, but maybe someone can tell me if I can increase the size of the numeric keypad displayed when powering up the A8 tablet? The size is about half the size of that on the TabA which I find much easier.

Roger
Easy just click on the keyboard and it should have like an option to change the size of it. :) You might see four arrows pointed away that to increse the size of it, my Samsung Tablet is the same inches :)

Upvote 0

Roger
1. are you sure it is not samsung email. i found an apk of the version you have:
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsu...samsung-email/samsung-email-4-2-43-0-release/

2."numeric keypad displayed when powering up" i'm not sure i understand this. do you mean entering a security code? how often are you powering the device on? may tablets are rarely shut off. i only re-boot them when i have a glitch or problem.

Upvote 0
Thank you Ocnbrz,

You are quite correct, my mistake. I checked the app you linked to and in the list of updates t by email icon changes to the new one, and the last update shows the version number I have no. Strangely the app is not identified as Samsung email.

As for the keypad, yes, I am referring to the one where I enter the 4 digit security code. I always press the power button when I finish using my tablet. Are you saying I don't need to?

Can I ask another ? about the email please? In writing this reply, I have been getting blue lines appearing on the keypad, a bit like a marker pen, and the text in the email is garbage. Whatever setting is responsible, I really want to turn it off. If you recognise what I am talking about, can you help please? It is driving me nut. This is why I wanted to revert to my old email

Thanks

Roger

Upvote 0
Thank you Ocnbrz,

You are quite correct, my mistake. I checked the app you linked to and in the list of updates t by email icon changes to the new one, and the last update shows the version number I have no. Strangely the app is not identified as Samsung email.

As for the keypad, yes, I am referring to the one where I enter the 4 digit security code. I always press the power button when I finish using my tablet. Are you saying I don't need to?

Can I ask another ? about the email please? In writing this reply, I have been getting blue lines appearing on the keypad, a bit like a marker pen, and the text in the email is garbage. Whatever setting is responsible, I really want to turn it off. If you recognise what I am talking about, can you help please? It is driving me nut. This is why I wanted to revert to my old email

Thanks

Roger
the keypad can't be enlarged unfortunately. and yes you do not need to always power off the device. you can tap the power button to put it to sleep. holding down the power button will turn it off. if you are just putting it to sleep, that's fine. turning it on and off all the time will wear out the processor over time.

i don't know what you are talking about as far as emails go. can you take a screenshot and post it here?

Upvote 0
"Blue lines appearing on the keypad" sounds like a feature of the keyboard app rather than the email app.

Just a guess, but might you have some "swipe typing" option turned on? This is a thing some keyboards offer, where instead of typing letters you swipe your finger across the keyboard (from one letter to the next) and it figures out what word you were trying to type (or rather swipe). That typically produces coloured lines showing where you have swiped, which is why I suggest this, and if you were unintentionally triggering that it would tend to produce garbage results. Look in your keyboard app's settings for anything like this, and if it's turned on try turning it off.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Hello again

Thank you for your replies, sorry for the delay in coming back to you all. Time differences make it difficult, GMT+10 here.

I believe the keyboard problem is affecting far more than just emails, so I think it is right to think it I is a keyboard setting. Just typing this reply is driving me crazy.

Leave it with me and I will get back soon

Roger

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Back again! Firstly, about the keyboard problem, that seems resolved now, thanks very much. It was indeed a keyboard setting and I have changed to 'no swipe gestures'. That seems to be the solution.

Oh that is called "Lock screen" I guess then that this is set in stone and the size can't be changed. OK, I can live with it.

If you are just putting it to sleep, that's fine.
Thanks for the explanation.

My wife and I have both swapped TabA tablets for A8 tablets, and there are many more differences than we expected. Currently we are wondering if we were wise to change but I am sure we will get used to a new way of doing things. Just spent an age trying to change wallpapers and these tablets don't seem to correspond with the videos online which all show 3 options, Lock screen, Home screen or Both. We can change the Lock screens but nothing changes on the Home screen. Never mind, this can be left, it's not important

Further posts will no doubt follow later so thanks in advance for being here

Roger

Upvote 0
check out zedge. it had thousands of great wallpapers, ringtones and notification sounds. it is super easy to use and the wallpapers are amazing. you can have it set for both homescreen and lockscreen. or you can have one for homescreen and one for the lockscreen.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.zedge.android

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0
Hi,

I have written at length, and often, after starting to come to terms with my new A8 tablet. I thank all who have kindly responded with advice and information; I am now over the initial teething troubles and enjoying the rather different features of thus tablet.

I hope I won't need to bother you all again, but it is good know you are there and willing to helpi

Thanks very much

Roger

Reactions: olbriar and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Hi,

I have written at length, and often, after starting to come to terms with my new A8 tablet. I thank all who have kindly responded with advice and information; I am now over the initial teething troubles and enjoying the rather different features of thus tablet.

I hope I won't need to bother you all again, but it is good know you are there and willing to helpi

Thanks very much

Roger
Please bother us. It gives us something to do here.......lol

Plus we love helping people. ......and you are family now.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks very much

Roger
Please bother us, please.. Come now. Just stay in contact with us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones