• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread on Vortex

Vortex has android 2.2, but its MSM7267 CPU is a little older generation that doesn't support flash. You can use Skyfire browser to view flash video. It converts flash video to its own format and plays it. But I feel skyfire a little lagging and buggy at times. I think Dolphin (both HD and mini) and Xscope are better browsers.

Personally I don't see much point of flash video on smart-phones yet. It slows down your browser, drains more battery power. I use my laptop to view the full web pages with flash.

Upvote 0
Youtube works fine on the Vortex. The issue arises if someone has embedded flash video in a web page. The Vortex cannot play those videos. With Skyfire browser, you can because what it does is it senses if there is a flash video on the page. If so, it then downloads it to the Skyfire server which then converts it to a video format the vortex can handle and then streams it from the Skyfire server.

With the Dolphin browser, I cannot get it to work. I wasn't sure if the Dolphin browser requires Flash player to be installed? If so, then Dolphin browser won't work with the Vortex when it comes to displaying flash. It that is the case, then that's too bad because I really do like the Dolphin browser.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones