• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Given Used Samsung Galaxy SIII – looking for carrier / plan

cellsee6

Lurker
Sep 12, 2015
I have been given a Samsung Galaxy SIII as a gift.

It is a used phone. The giver was using Verizon as the carrier.

I don't want to be locked into a plan.

I currently have an old beat up Android phone with an ancient Android operating system. The carrier is VirginMobile.

My needs are modest: 300 messages per month, 500 minutes of phone and 10 gigs of data would suffice.

Q1.) What non contract carrier / plan have you found to have useful service?

Q2.) What SIM card would I need for the carrier / plan?

May be you have some thoughts , suggestions on the best way to get this used phone in service?

To the best of my knowledge Verizon uses cdma so no Going to other carriers other than Cricket I think. You can sign up for verizon prepaid service but you need to contact them first to see if that phone is available for prepaid. Visit a cricket retailer and they may be able to flash it to their service. They can for Sprint phones which is cdma also ( or at least they could a few years back) .
That's all i got good luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones