• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gizmodo asks the Question of the Day: iPhone 4 or HTC EVO

I really like the irony of iPhone fans nowadays. I guess we are in the era of everyone thinking we should feel good about our individual phone preference.

The EVO is a good choice.

The iPhone is a good choice.

One for all, all for one, right?

NOT!!

When you can't beat something, you try to join it. Which is exactly what I see a lot of iPhone fans trying to do in regards to comparing the EVO and iPhone. Acting like the merits of each device is equal to the other. When one says EVO, the other must say iPhone and vice-versa.

I see what you iPhone fans are doing. And to that I say, oh how time changes. I remember when having bigger screens was the end-all, be-all when it came to assigning superiority in device comparisons. Now its about 'feel' and comfort levels. Now simplicity is the standard bearer for superiority.

Wow.

And to see EVO/Android fans fall victim to this mentality is sad. It's like you feel insecure claiming the rightful stance that the EVO is the best device on the market. Period. No need to feel shame in that.

Upvote 0
Definitely boils down to perspective.

For instance, I thought Backberry (pre-Storm) was far superior to iPhone. For me. I wanted some things that Apple couldn't provide. I dearly wanted an iPhone, but simple things like cut and paste kept me at the time. That is why the unveiling today was disappointing. Gizmodo ruined it for me, and the rest of the improvements that weren't leaked seemed cosmetic.

I feel that Android OS is better than iOS overall. The open nature of Android is a big draw. I like to make a list of things I need in a device, and match device to those needs. For me, Android wins. If I could move to another device and be more productive, I am gonna do it (as price allows).

I do not think the iPhone trumps EVO in many ways at all.

In fact, I could be using a new iPhone for free (thank you present from a friend). I choose to pay for an Android device.

Upvote 0
My man, while some of your claims are true, your on an Android forum! And if I was a moderator I would close this thread because your going to get SLAMMED from every direction. I happen to like Apple and its products, however there new OS is more of the old just meant to look new. And while they might win on build quality and having a true blue 5 mega pixel shooter, what good is any of it if the network is just plain Terrible. It's like having a Porsche, but with a tank of water instead of high octain gasoline.

The comparisons are going to get heated. But what I can say is this, Android is a fire breathing monster, and they are going to continue to just grow and get bigger everyday. The same with HTC, there phones are going to continue to improve with every outing. Sorry to bring the truth, but my EVO IS UNBELIEVABLE right now out of the box, and when Froyo gets released for the EVO, WOW is all I have to say!

i think the new build is setting up for failure because both sides of the iphone 4 is entirely glass w. a steel border. if that device gets dropped, bumped into another hard object the user is gonna be diggin deep into pocket for a new one. considering how fragile it is (unless it is thick durable glass) insurance shouldve been offered this time around. otherwise there will be a lot of users in apple in an uproar AGAIN trying to get a new device. i really respect what apple has done but could they once think about their consumers and not their stock and payroll?

Upvote 0
I will say I don't find the new Iphone all that attractive and I don't like that the screen is smaller (even if they say it's the same size as the 3GS u can tell it's not) but if it was on sprint I'd get it, it's not though so I got the Evo and I love it. One thing bothers me though, I have a ton of itunes video that I've purchased and that would be the main reason I'd get an iphone because of the media experience, what's the point of the Evo's giant screen if their is no media that can be played on it other than battery draining streaming from the web? there should be places to by legal tv shows and movies to play on ths phone. It just seems like a huge waste to me that you have to jump through hoops like crazy to get something to put on this phone, they put the kickstand on so u can watch media on it hands free yet what do we have to watch? nothing.

Reactions: blake247
Upvote 0
i think the new build is setting up for failure because both sides of the iphone 4 is entirely glass w. a steel border. if that device gets dropped, bumped into another hard object the user is gonna be diggin deep into pocket for a new one. considering how fragile it is (unless it is thick durable glass) insurance shouldve been offered this time around. otherwise there will be a lot of users in apple in an uproar AGAIN trying to get a new device. i really respect what apple has done but could they once think about their consumers and not their stock and payroll?

Did you see they say people don't need body cases for this phone because the glass is "stronger than saphire" or something like that, they just want you to buy a $30.00 rubber bumper to go around the edges, if they think it needs that they should have put one on it to begin with.

Upvote 0
I'm another defector from the IPhone 3GS to the Evo and I couldn't be happier! After having the glass front on my Iphone shatter twice, the thought of having glass on both sides of the phone sounds awful to me. The phone also looks too small now. Ha!

I'm sure the 4 will still be a great phone for many and I know my mom is looking forward to it. I'm thrilled to have the Evo now though...

Upvote 0
...what's the point of the Evo's giant screen if their is no media that can be played on it other than battery draining streaming from the web? there should be places to by legal tv shows and movies to play on ths phone. It just seems like a huge waste to me that you have to jump through hoops like crazy to get something to put on this phone, they put the kickstand on so u can watch media on it hands free yet what do we have to watch? nothing.

:thinking:

Nothing except all of your cable/satellite/PPV channels (and DVR where applicable)...sling mobile is coming soon. I can't count the times I've been stuck at the mall shopping w/my girl, but was still able to catch the game/race because of sling.

Upvote 0
:thinking:

Nothing except all of your cable/satellite/PPV channels (and DVR where applicable)...sling mobile is coming soon. I can't count the times I've been stuck at the mall shopping w/my girl, but was still able to catch the game/race because of sling.

I just want some kind of marketplace where I can buy videos to keep instead of having to stream everything, seems it would drain the battery faster having something streaming through a wifi or 4G (when we get it in my area sometime in the next 20 years lol)

Upvote 0
Ok so first off most movies come with digital editions. Why pay for a movie twice? Google an app called tunebite if your main concern is losing what you paid for in the past.

I will say I don't find the new Iphone all that attractive and I don't like that the screen is smaller (even if they say it's the same size as the 3GS u can tell it's not) but if it was on sprint I'd get it, it's not though so I got the Evo and I love it. One thing bothers me though, I have a ton of itunes video that I've purchased and that would be the main reason I'd get an iphone because of the media experience, what's the point of the Evo's giant screen if their is no media that can be played on it other than battery draining streaming from the web? there should be places to by legal tv shows and movies to play on ths phone. It just seems like a huge waste to me that you have to jump through hoops like crazy to get something to put on this phone, they put the kickstand on so u can watch media on it hands free yet what do we have to watch? nothing.

Upvote 0
What about re-encoding movies you pay for with various apps? is that too time consuming? I am suprised that Amazon market place does not sell movies for android. You raise a valid point I suppose. I try to save money and use my tivo to go or digital editions when possible.

I just want some kind of marketplace where I can buy videos to keep instead of having to stream everything, seems it would drain the battery faster having something streaming through a wifi or 4G (when we get it in my area sometime in the next 20 years lol)

Upvote 0

Fair enough. Is a second or "extended" battery not an option? Or a car charger (DC/AC converter if need be) for when out and about? I bought a 2100mAh Seidio for my Q when I started using sling. For my n900, I carry a second OEM battery on my keychain, in an old USB drive pouch.

Upvote 0
Did you see they say people don't need body cases for this phone because the glass is "stronger than saphire" or something like that, they just want you to buy a $30.00 rubber bumper to go around the edges, if they think it needs that they should have put one on it to begin with.

Who said it was stronger than sapphire? lol, whoever said that is delusional. If the glass was sapphire crystal, the phone would cost like $3k.

Upvote 0
Everyone is acting like the OP is the one that made the comment. He posted someone else's comment and wanted to see what people think.

Truth be told, Apple's industrial design is pretty impressive. I do think the new iPhone looks sexy. The steel frame which doubles as an antenna. Front and back are glass. It's pretty neat. Once you get past the hardware though, you're still stuck with the same OS...and AT&T. I am pretty jealous though. That 3.5 in screen boasts a 960 x 640, while the 4.3 in Evo screen "only" has 800 x 480. One can imagine just how crisp that will look. Well they already have FroYo running on an iPhone, it's just a matter of time (possibly a very long time) before it runs on iPhone 4 right?

Upvote 0

What a rip off! $30? I can get myself a decent Seidio case. If on Iphone doesn't require a case, why spend another $30 for the sides?

Upvote 0
First, gizmodo seems to have a hard-on for Apple as of late. (which is ironic because if the cops raided my home I would be pissed not kissing ass) As for EVO vs. iPhone, it's comparing apples to oranges (no pun). If the SD card goes out on my Evo I can go to the store and buy a new one, if I want an extra battery or to replace my old one same thing. iPhone not so much... Plus, iphone comes with a noose around its neck in the form of at&t.

Upvote 0
Honestly Gizmodo has really gotten less Apple-centric since that whole leak debacle. They used to focus on them and lean toward fanboy territory but the past month has seemed a lot more varied as far as coverage and slant there.

I don't want to join in any holy wars but I do think the new iPhone will be a great device. I personally like it better when I have more control over my devices and I don't like AT&T as a carrier but if I didn't mind the carrier and felt like jailbreaking, I would like to check out an iPhone. I would certainly recommend it to friends who use AT&T and don't hold the same nerdy preferences and prejudices as I do. Carrier aside, the iPhone 4 will probably be a great device like the Evo but one which trades a bit of polish for a bit of flexibility.

I guess I would care more if I wasn't happy with what I have and felt like they were holding back the market but as long as I have something that works for me, I can't really get bent out of shape over some other company's take on the whole smart phone thing. They probably pushed companies like HTC to adopt better hardware and interfaces in the same way Google or HTC has pushed Apple to integrate things like multitasking and video calling. Strong competitors always looking to outdo one another create a good market for people like us who are looking for the best option we can get.

Reactions: clwoodwork
Upvote 0
I have to admit, the iPhone looks NICE!!! I'm sure it will have a great OS as well. I heard of rumors that the new OS will be a lot less locked down, and offer more customization. I love the screen, but can't wait to compare Apple's Retina Display with Samsung's SAMOLED screens. I think one major selling point for Apple's new iPhone 4 would be battery life. And I have to agree. Overall, I think in terms of hardware, Apple will have a better phone than the Evo.

But that's just not the only factor to choose the phone. There are other factors ivolved. One would be price and the other would be the carrier. AT&T is a lot more expensive, issues with dropped calls, as well as a choked up network that is struggling to keep up with it's subscriber's usage.

In terms of hardware, yes the iPhone does offer a slight advantage compared the Evo. But Sprint is miles ahead of AT&T in terms of customer satisfaction, coverage as well as the first 4G network. Sprint's plan is a lot cheaper compared to AT&T's.

Specification: I'd say Apple wins.
Network: HTC Evo 4G wins :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones