• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

tiggen

Jan 23, 2010
Is there a glossary somewhere? I am en ex-BB guy and am totally confused by all the new terminology. If there is not glossary, can somebody tell me what the following are:

rooting

exchange active sync

shortcut/widget (what exactly is the difference?)

htc/android widget (what's the difference?)

sense ui (and something about undoing it)

home app (what does this do?)

wallpaper/theme (what's the difference?)

Thanks to any and all help!

wow ... i know what all those things are and that glossary still confused me.
here ya go

1. rooting- i am not exactly sure on all the technicals but it is basically jailbreaking it so you can go through and change what ever you want on it

2. exchange active sync- that is i think microsoft exchange sync between computer ... correct me if im wrong

3. shortcut/widget- shortcut is on the home screen and takes you to the specified app basically like the four shortcuts at the bottom on the homescreen of the bb (the tour anyway.. the one i had) .. widget is on your homescreen and gives you updated info directly on the homescreen without launching it

4. htc/android widget- htc widgets come with sense ui and are only on phones that have htc's sense on it // android widgets are standard and come with all android phones

5. sense ui- htc's overlay that they made to improve vanilla android 1.5 ... i think it is only on the eris and hero at this point

6. home app- it is an app to customize vanilla android only and doesnt work while sense is on. i find that home does what sense does without the finished/polished look and feel so i just keep sense on it

7. wallpaper/theme- well wallpaper is the picture on the homescreen ... i am not sure what you mean by theme

hope this helps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones