• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail app and archiving

she1123

Lurker
Mar 30, 2012
Hi All

I feel like I must be going mad here. I've just set up the Gmail app with my Gmail account and found the following. Tested thoroughly several times to make sure. Googling doesn't seem to be turning up other people having this issue tho, unless I'm not Googling it correctly!

When I hit the archive button when in the inbox I get the expected behaviour. Inbox label is removed and others left alone. Now say the email has the label 'Work'. I go to the Work label, viewing just the emails with that label. Now if I press the same archive button (looks like a 2 draw filling cabinet) it removes all custom labels like Work but leaves the inbox label on the email. The opposite of what it should do.

I've enabled the ask before archiving option and when in the inbox it asks and behaves as it should. When in the Work label it doesn't ask and malfunctions.

Sony Tablet S. Android 3.2.1. Anything else I should state, please say. I've been an iOS user for years and not long had an Android device ;-)

Hi UncleMike

Thanks - that makes more sense. On my device the buttons show as the same icon though - a 2 draw filing cabinet, no text description or anything to show a difference.

I'm not going mad then. It could just do with a different icon or something on mine! ;)

Cheers
She1123

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones