• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gmail App Crashes constantly

btrains

Lurker
Mar 22, 2012
I rooted my Galaxy S II the day I bought it, back in January, and put the CoZ ROM on it. I have had zero problems with the phone, until today. Nothing has been changed on my phone for a few days now, no updated/new apps, etc. I woke up this morning to check my email, and the Gmail app has crashed on my main Gmail account which I use for the app sync and everything else for the phone. The app will open, freeze, and then start bootlooping very fast. If I press the Home button to close the app, I can be doing something else and the Gmail app will just pop up and start bootlooping again. I tried rebooting the phone, nothing. I tried Anti-virus software. Nothing. I did a cold reboot (aka power off/remove battery). Nothing.

I went to the application settings and cleared the cache and all the saved settings, which allowed me to open the app and select one of the Gmail accounts I have saved to my phone. I selected my secondary account, which is only used for certain messages, and loaded that as my account for Gmail to use.

The app worked just fine. No bootlooping, nothing. I can check messages and do everything as normal.

So then I went and cleared the cache and files again, and re-logged in to my main Gmail account. Guess what? It's acting stupid again!

What am I supposed to do!? Does it matter how many messages are saved to my Gmail inbox or something? I feel completely stupid at this point! I know how to root my phone and do all that but I can't get email to work!?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones