1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

GMail App - Using Contact Groups

Last Updated:

1. tithefug

tithefug Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I cannot figure out how to send an e-mail to an entire groups as with the web interface.

For example, if I have a group called "Group 1" that has 10 Contacts in it, I want to type "Group 1" in the "To:" field and e-mail all 10 contacts.

Thanks,

Tithefug

Advertisement
  2. Oberox

Oberox Active Member

Should be a normal feature...

3. Cryptic79

Cryptic79 VIP Member VIP Member

I do not see that functionality on it. I don't believe it exists...yet.

4. Oberox

Oberox Active Member

You don't see the functionality?

If I need to send an e-mail to ma whole family I'm not gonna select all their names. Just clicking Family would save tons of time. Same when working in team at something.

5. Cryptic79

Cryptic79 VIP Member VIP Member

I see the use, not the ablity on the G!. Sorry. I'm at work and not paying enough attention to any one thing. I love the feature and wish it was on the phone, but it's not.

6. Oberox

Oberox Active Member

Ow, sorry :)

Yeah, and it wouldn't be that hard to make for the Google Android Team cuz Groups are allready supported by Google ContactManager

7. cojack47

cojack47 New Member

I have a droid x2 running 2.3.3. This is weird! I can send to groups using my yahoo account but can't using my gmail account. All my groups have been synced from gmail and appear in my contacts as groups. In my yahoo account when I compose an email. I begin to type the groups name in the address section and it appears in the suggestions. I click it and it inserts all group members into the email. When I do so in gmail, my groups don't appear??? I'm not sure if it is a android problem, gmail problem or what.

8. DavidSaylor

DavidSaylor New Member

I found a way to create email groups and send to them on the android gmail program.

1. Create a new "regular" contact and give it a name like "New Project Group" etc.
    2. On an email line add the first email, ending with the right arrow (>). Then put the comma and a space and start the second email with a left arrow (<) and finish it with a right arrow (>). Do this until the last email and leave the last right arrow off. Then when you create an email from this "group" the email program supplies the first and last arrow and it works!
    3. The line looks like this email1@email.com>, <email2@email.com>, <email3@email.com>, <email4@email.com
    4. Warning: You must begin from the gmail app and call up this group for it to format properly. If you start from within the contact list, and click the "email" icon, it doesn't work. (Of the two choice, I'm glad starting from the email app is the one that works!)

Note: If you are creating multiple groups to use, I found it easier to create the groups on my laptop in the regular gmail program, rather than on my tablet, but both work.

PatrickD88 likes this.