Gmail contacts GroupsSupport

Last Updated:

1. gbenj

gbenj Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Trying to troubleshoot something for my mom who has the Droid2...

Question is, is there a way to show contacts in their "Groups"?

Theyre all neatly organized into groups on gmail, but on the phone they just all populate the "all contacts" or "google contacts" in the stock contact manager.

is there a way to filter by group? I'm using an incredible and this functionality is build into HTC's "people".

Am I missing something similar that Motorola has set up? seems like theres gotta be a way to group contacts on here too...

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. NoShftShck16

NoShftShck16 Well-Known Member

im trouble shooting for my boss, i have an incredible too. but if you click the bar with the + sign in it you can sort your contacts that way. or hit settings > display group (the eye)

3. gbenj

Yeah, but existing gmail contact groups arent supported.

Called motorola support. 2nd level support said he would "flag it as a bug" for the engineers to fix later.

Workaround I found is an app called groupY, which lets you view contacts in their gmail groups.

Really crappy work my Motorola considering the functionality is built into stock vanilla android.

When HTC redid the contacts integration I think they did a great job.

Motorla's try is terrible. Laggy, buggy, and missing features from stock android. I'm amazed how bad of a job they did skinning the phone.

Edit: And this would all be avoidable if they just allowed users the ability to go into settings and "turn off" the skin and go to the stock vanilla android look that they have in the original Droid.

4. NoShftShck16

NoShftShck16 Well-Known Member

AGREED.

After playing with the D2 I love my Incredible even more. Although rooting makes any phone better but this is my boss' and I cant really do that.

5. gbenj

Yup, im workin on it for my mom. When she got the phone I didn't think I'd bother rooting.

Didn't wanna open the pandora s box of problems it could bring, but seeing how bad of a job motorola did with their skin plus how happy I am with my phone now that I've rooted, I might have to take the plunge once roms are available for the droid 2.

6. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Well-Known Member

Try Groupy!

7. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

No Groupy on my phone...likely something specific to yours.

8. rjoudrey

In the market

9. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Took a look at Groupy...other than being laggy when scrolling through contacts, seems like it would be a good alternative for those who are Group-centric.

10. rjoudrey

When you have 1500 contacts groups become necessary.Groupy allows you to email the whole group easily.