• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail sync isn't really syncing..

kwalla

Sep 17, 2011
www.solavei.com
I don't see anything recent on this... but I'm an Incredible 2 and Gmail has stopped acting like it used too.

It doesn't sync to get new emails anymore unless I go into Gmail>Account Settings> and hit sync. I have three Gmail accounts, so it's annoying to do this and then get various emails -- sometimes ones as much as 12+ hours old.

As in I wake up in the morning and my phone shows no new emails (it's on all night) and won't show any new ones until I manually make it sync.

Some of the new ones I'll mark as SPAM and they disappear from my phone... but if I check my Gmail from a computer they are still listed as new, unread emails.

I went into Settings>Applications and uninstalled Gmail and reinstalled it.. but no joy.

I do have all the sync options picked.

Any ideas on why Gmail isn't syncing like it should and possible remedies?

I don't see anything recent on this... but I'm an Incredible 2 and Gmail has stopped acting like it used too.

It doesn't sync to get new emails anymore unless I go into Gmail>Account Settings> and hit sync. I have three Gmail accounts, so it's annoying to do this and then get various emails -- sometimes ones as much as 12+ hours old.

As in I wake up in the morning and my phone shows no new emails (it's on all night) and won't show any new ones until I manually make it sync.

Some of the new ones I'll mark as SPAM and they disappear from my phone... but if I check my Gmail from a computer they are still listed as new, unread emails.

I went into Settings>Applications and uninstalled Gmail and reinstalled it.. but no joy.

I do have all the sync options picked.

Any ideas on why Gmail isn't syncing like it should and possible remedies?

im having the same problem man. i was going to post today about it...lol
thanks for beating me to the punch
may gmail service is not working right...i dunno
some one help us please?

Upvote 0
Maybe it's an issue with accepting the privacy policy. If you go to menu>settings>applications>manage applications and clear data for the gmail app, it might clear things up.

Thanks, I did and it would not let me click on clear. I opened a new gmail account on my pc but couldn't put it on my phone. I just can't remove my old gmail completely from my phone. I did a search and it seems the only way is to reset it to factory. I don't know how to do it and do know I'll lose a lot of stuff. Someone said Google had enbeded things in the htc that can't be removed but I don't know about that.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I did and it would not let me click on clear. I opened a new gmail account on my pc but couldn't put it on my phone. I just can't remove my old gmail completely from my phone. I did a search and it seems the only way is to reset it to factory. I don't know how to do it and do know I'll lose a lot of stuff. Someone said Google had enbeded things in the htc that can't be removed but I don't know about that.

The gmail account is your phone's registration. It is how you are recognized on the market. If you register your phone under a different gmail account you will lose access to all the apps you've paid for. A factory reset will also set your phone back to the way it was new and you will lose all your apps and settings.

You should be able to clear the data for the gmail app

lunatic59-albums-stuff-picture5558-gmail.png

Upvote 0
I think I fixed my problem. Here's what I did:

I went into Gmail > Account Settings and unchecked both auto-sync and then unchecked background data. I then went into Settings > Applications > Manage Applications uninstalled the updates for Gmail.

I figured this gets me back to as "clean" a slate as one can get with a program that can't be totally uninstalled.

I then went into Market (which gave me prompt that background data had to be turned on, so I turned it on) and updated Gmail.

While Gmail was updating, I got a couple notifications from programs like Facebook I hadn't realized had stopped giving me status bar notifications. So I think turning off/then back on the background sync is really what fixed it.... not an issue with the Gmail app itself.

Hopefully the above makes sense...

Upvote 0
This works!
THANKS!!!!

I think I fixed my problem. Here's what I did:

I went into Gmail > Account Settings and unchecked both auto-sync and then unchecked background data. I then went into Settings > Applications > Manage Applications uninstalled the updates for Gmail.

I figured this gets me back to as "clean" a slate as one can get with a program that can't be totally uninstalled.

I then went into Market (which gave me prompt that background data had to be turned on, so I turned it on) and updated Gmail.

While Gmail was updating, I got a couple notifications from programs like Facebook I hadn't realized had stopped giving me status bar notifications. So I think turning off/then back on the background sync is really what fixed it.... not an issue with the Gmail app itself.

Hopefully the above makes sense...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones