GMail won't send . . . Please help

Last Updated:

1. Old Member

Old Member Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am running Virtuous 3.1.0 and I had the same issue when I used Virtuous 3.0.1. I am unable to send an email from my phone. When I press send, it says "Sending" in red, but no matter how long I wait, days included, it NEVER sends. It's actually caused me some problems in the past because I was supposed to have emailed people things and thought that I had, only to find out that they never got it.

Anyone else experiencing this or am I alone here? Any ideas for how to fix it?

Advertisement
  2. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

Only problems I have ever experienced with gmail have been force closes and I was able to fix it by going into recovery, clearing caches, and then rebooting. I've never had a problem getting an email to send though.

3. dscribe

Another thing I would try is doing a fix permissions.

Old Member likes this.
  4. Old Member

How do I do that? ^

NVM, I think you mean in ROM Manager. I'll give that a try.

5. Old Member

That worked! Thanks a million!

6. dscribe

Coolio. Glad it worked.

If you are ever on a rom where the fix permissions in rom manager doesn't work (on some roms it doesn't), there are other ways to do it also. For instance you can load the fix permissions script into gscript and run it. You can also run terminal emulator and input
    su <enter>
    then
    fix_permissions <enter>

on most roms to do it.

Always remember to reboot afterward because most methods will not remind you to do so.

7. WormDoes

WormDoes Well-Known Member

Glad you got your email working. Another thing you could also try if it happens again is going into settings all applications and clearing data on gmail and gmail storage. I had a similar issue when I had my Eris and this solved the problem.

8. Old Member

Crud! Problem is back again. I've tried fixing permission through Rom Manager but it doesn't work this time. I'm running Virtuous 3.1.0 and I can't send from Gmail. I've tried downloading Terminal Emulator and running the commands above but it doesn't work. Anyone have any new ideas?

9. Old Member

I've also tried clearing cache in recovery, clearing the data and cache in the application manager, running fix permissions in gscript and running fix permissions in terminal emulator. Once I type su in terminal emulator and then type fix_permissions it says "not found".

10. Old Member

I'm not sure if anyone other than me is reading this but just in case some one down the road runs into the same problem, I fixed it. Here's how, I'm not sure how but I had Imap in box, Imap sent, Imap trash, etc labels. I think this was my problem. I'm not even really sure why I had those or what their function was so I deleted them on my Gmail page from my laptop. That didn't solve my problem. I noticed that in my app it was showing two emails in the outbox counter that weren't there when I clicked on it. Also when I went into the outbox on Gmail they weren't there. So next I went back into app management and deleted cache and data for Gmail. Then I went into ROM Manager and did a fix permissions, rebooted and NOW my Gmail will send mail. Just a FYI for those of you that wonder how to fix it.

11. welbinator

welbinator Well-Known Member

I'm going to try that. I'm having the same problem. I don't mind resurrecting this post a bit since if I'm having this problem, chances are other people still are too. hopefully this fixes it!

12. welbinator

welbinator Well-Known Member

worked for me! ran fix permissions. still didn't work. went to manage applications, gmail, and cleared data. that worked!

13. morrty

morrty Member

Fixing permissions through ROM manager followed by a reboot fixed my issue.
    Thanks.