• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GNM_TURBO JIT + OC = 8+ mflops

Status
Not open for further replies.

getitnowmarketing

Android Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2010
ATTN this is outdated and not compatible with froyo!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all I'd like to state the amount of time/work I've put into this project for a device that I don't own. I have spent probably 50+ hours into developing stuff for the LG Ally not to mention even making custom roms a possibility for your device. To develop this I had to create a patch to optimize the davlikvm and many lib.so's for the ARM Version 6 code the Ally's processor runs as this is not included in android source. I also figured out how to enable jit compiler on eclair and also in the javascript in the browser with libwebcore.so. I also developed a patch to overclock the msm7627 processor up to 787mhz. LG made things very hard by having a proprietary memory allocation on their lib.so's that the only other device that I found that shares the same map is the acer liquid.

OK on to the fun stuff:

Ally stock gets between high 3's to max 4.2 MFLOPS. Overclocked alone we got it to 5.2 MFLOPS. With only jit its 6.9 MFLOPS or so. With jit and overclock we have hit 9.1 MFLOPS. To put that in perspective the droid x on on 2.1 only hits mid 7's with a 1 ghz ARM v7 processor. Thats how much this will turbocharge your Ally.

Included in the flashable zip:

ArmV6 optimized dalvikvm and associated lib.so's that enable jit.
Jit enabled libwebcore.so
Overclocked kernel with 729, 748, 768, 787 freq.

All of the above are compiled from source.

How to install:

1. From a custom recovery wipe your dalvik cache & cache.

2. Flash zip over your current eclair rom.

3. Reboot and enjoy!!

Notes on kernel:

Max speed on kernel is set to 600mhz on boot for safety. To clock it higher you must use setcpu and reapply the setting after every boot. If it shows 600 as max but slider is above 600mhz you need to just move the sliders to reset. Not everyones phone will be able to run overclocked due to the QA on their processor. Some can run up to 787mhz while some can only run 748mhz etc and some will only do 600mhz. Every phone is unique so find the speed that works for you. Again this is not a defective kernel it is unique to YOUR phone. If you don't want to overclock dont use setcpu and it will run as stock. Also, ext 3 & 4 filesystem support is included in kernel.
Use autodetect for setcpu too.

Ok before downloading I'd like to say your donations will help me get an ally to help dev on and a better FTP server. For the 2k+ downloads on my recovery I've gotten a grand total of $0. Hopefully some of you will see the effort I've put into this and toss a little bit my way.

This package is not to be hotlinked or mirrored please. Please direct to this thread as it will have the most up to date info.

Special thanks to:

Vmanisme & Trident for testng
Credit here for part of ArmV6 patch
Death2all110 - donation
jetblack - donation
Savoxis - donation
Tonyfica -donation

Change Log:

GNM_TURBO4:
Added overclocked kernel and no kernel versions.
Fixed Calculator.apk - rebuilt from source.
Signed zip properly this time

Download_GNM_TURBO4.zip

Download GNM_TURBO4_no_kernel.zip

Download GNM_TURBO3.zip WARNING LG ALLY ONLY!!! Kernel and Libs are ALLY ONLY!!

I've just tried it velocity v0.2. It re-enabled the verizon boot animation. Also the red-eye seems bigger? (can someone else confirm this?) Was a bit slugglish a first but after a couple of minutes its working flawlessly.

I have the stock boot animation in boot.img. Also, sometime it takes a little bit for a phone to adjust to a new kernel.

Upvote 0
Hey all. Going to to try this later tonight, but I have a couple of stupid questions first.

1. The OP says to wipe cache and dalvik cache, but doesn't mention data. I assume that's intentional but just want to be sure. We don't have to wipe data? Just the cache and dalvik cache?

2. It says to flash over the current ROM. Is there any procedural difference between flashing over an existing ROM and flashing a full ROM? Or do I just use the same "Flash ZIP from sdcard" option from drellisdee's recovery.

3. Does this have much impact on battery life? I assume that overclocking will reduce battery life somewhat, but will leaving it at the stock setting keep battery life about the same?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hey all. Going to to try this later tonight, but I have a couple of stupid questions first.

1. The OP says to wipe cache and dalvik cache, but doesn't mention data. I assume that's intentional but just want to be sure. We don't have to wipe data? Just the cache and dalvik cache?

2. It says to flash over the current ROM. Is there any procedural difference between flashing over an existing ROM and flashing a full ROM? Or do I just use the same "Flash ZIP from sdcard" option from drellisdee's recovery.

3. Does this have much impact on battery life? I assume that overclocking will reduce battery life somewhat, but will leaving it at the stock setting keep battery life about the same?

Thanks
Its really easy man... just open up rom manager and choose flash rom from sdcard (or wherever u have the file). Then just go about flashing like u would with any ROM u have flashed. Make sure to check the boxes that say backup existing rom and clear data cache etc. Your phone will reboot andthen its up to you to overclock the cpu with setcpu. For device type in setcpu make sure to choose a phone that is using ARM as a processor. This is what I. Just did about 2 hours ago and my phone is running great at 787mhz!

Upvote 0
nevermind question just got answered while i was posting

I swear Rom Manager hates me. I tell it to backup current Rom, phone restarts and hangs at LG screen. Ok screw it I don't need a backup I'll just load a rom from scratch if I need to, so I tell Rom Manager to reboot into recovery so I can just flash this, again hangs at LG screen. Had these same sort of issues when I was originally flashing Velocity 0.2. What am I doing wrong?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones