• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Good Anti-Virus Software and Doctor Who apps?

Alright, so, I'm a huge doctor who fan and would like some good wallpaper/ringtone/just overall fun apps for the show. Problem is, I know this is where lots of spyware and viruses like to hide, so I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations?

Second, I need a good anti-virus on my phone (A HTC one with the Google play store) I downloaded one, but it was asking for a huge amount of privileges, so I backed out.

I heard Lookout was good, any ideas?

Thanks guys.

Curious surely smartphones require AV / firewalls etc as really they are handheld computers which are vulnerable.
Surfing the internet and accessing certain websites can screw with your PC, so surely smartphone is no different

Surely you are wrong. If you download approved apps and are smart when browsing the web there is no reason to run an A/V on an android device. All it does it take up resources. A smart phone is different.

Upvote 0
Curious surely smartphones require AV / firewalls etc as really they are handheld computers which are vulnerable.
Surfing the internet and accessing certain websites can screw with your PC, so surely smartphone is no different

Both right and wrong.

1. You are right that smartphones are handheld computers

2. You are wrong that browsing the web can get you viruses that screw up the phone.

Your phone runs a different OS compared to your computer (Windows/Mac vs Android). In as much the same way you can put 32GB of Windows viruses on a Mac and nothing will happen, you can fill up the mass storage of your phone with viruses and nothing will happen apart from getting storage full notifications. Viruses don't work cross platform. A virus has to be specifically made for your OS so it can affect that OS. And the design of Android makes it impossible for viruses to exist. This is because while on a PC, many people prefer to be using the admin account (I don't know why) instead of a standard account, many viruses are able to run in the backround immediately without the owner knowing. On Android, since you don't have admin access out of the box, the viruses would run into the brick wall of permissions denied on the phone. And even if you have admin access by rooting, Android programs have a set level of sandboxing (or perhaps a better term is selective permissibility) as well. The OS is protected by a "permissions wall" where the apps you install can only affect the contents or workings of the phone if the permissions are granted, which is why you see a list of permissions when you install apps.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones