google maps nav

Last Updated:

1. ergalthema

ergalthema Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I choose a destination and start navigation, does the droid download all of the necessary map data so that it can guide me all the way even if I loose phone coverage?

Advertisement
  2. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Sorry but I don't beleive it does cache the necessary data so I think an internet connection is needed. **Please correct me if I'm wrong**

Being able to pre-load all the Data before hand would be awesome though :)

3. Crush_Buds

Crush_Buds Well-Known Member

Turn by turn voice guided navigation will not work as you need active GPS to guide you. But I believe if have not changed your destination, it should still be under "get directions" in the Maps application. The steps should still be displayed.

4. rawness

rawness Well-Known Member

Yes, it DOES cache the route. As long as you have a signal when you start and you don't deviate from that route, you'll be OK

5. Tierlifer

Tierlifer Member

Good to know. My sales route has some dead spots here in northern, PA near Towanda and Montrose. Thanks to the OP for the question as it's one I wanted to know myself.

I actually started the GPS NAV in the middle of the dead zone and last week a few days after I got my phone looking for some shortcuts to in a territory in which I only know the basic route for...and I only got the blue dot/arrow on a blank screen with no maps not knowing you needed a cell service to get the maps. Even though I know where I was and going, this is a feature I hope that it' capable of. Since that day, I have downloaded a few GPS apps for geocaching and entertainment purposes and will test them out too. I am assuming it till tell me my coordinates and direction heading without cell service.

Perhaps next Tuesday I will start the GPS NAV in the 3G zone and take it into the dead/no coverage area of my route and see if you guys are right. It does seem to make sense that it would based on what I have found from playing aroung with it thus far.

6. ergalthema

ergalthema Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It would be great if you could confirm that and post about it.

7. Blitzbud

Blitzbud New Member

How do i activate the turn by turn navigation voice?

8. greg72

greg72 Well-Known Member

Go to google maps search for a location and click navigate to or open the car dock app and click the navigation Icon. no need to "activate" it. It's a standard part of the phone software.

9. Blitzbud

Blitzbud New Member

Thanks for the response.

I have followed this procedure and get an initial voice instruction, but no additional voice instructions follow as I proceed on the prescribed route. No voice instructions as I make the various turns.

10. flaxie

flaxie Member

OK, I have searched & read, and don't see any answers. My Maps shows me directions but does not have voice turn by turn. Although better then nothing, not any good when your driving. I went to Maps help page, didn't find anything there. Is there a setting that turns on the voice direction? I thought the docking station was not required. I thought if I had Blue Tooth on I would get directions in my ear?

11. jalann

jalann Well-Known Member

When your map lists the directions there is Navigate button just below 'Show on Map'
    Voice directions are not available via bluetooth.

12. flaxie

flaxie Member

Wonderful, It works great.