• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

google maps nav

Yes, it DOES cache the route. As long as you have a signal when you start and you don't deviate from that route, you'll be OK

Good to know. My sales route has some dead spots here in northern, PA near Towanda and Montrose. Thanks to the OP for the question as it's one I wanted to know myself.

I actually started the GPS NAV in the middle of the dead zone and last week a few days after I got my phone looking for some shortcuts to in a territory in which I only know the basic route for...and I only got the blue dot/arrow on a blank screen with no maps not knowing you needed a cell service to get the maps. Even though I know where I was and going, this is a feature I hope that it' capable of. Since that day, I have downloaded a few GPS apps for geocaching and entertainment purposes and will test them out too. I am assuming it till tell me my coordinates and direction heading without cell service.

Perhaps next Tuesday I will start the GPS NAV in the 3G zone and take it into the dead/no coverage area of my route and see if you guys are right. It does seem to make sense that it would based on what I have found from playing aroung with it thus far.

Upvote 0
Good to know. My sales route has some dead spots here in northern, PA near Towanda and Montrose. Thanks to the OP for the question as it's one I wanted to know myself.

I actually started the GPS NAV in the middle of the dead zone and last week a few days after I got my phone looking for some shortcuts to in a territory in which I only know the basic route for...and I only got the blue dot/arrow on a blank screen with no maps not knowing you needed a cell service to get the maps. Even though I know where I was and going, this is a feature I hope that it' capable of. Since that day, I have downloaded a few GPS apps for geocaching and entertainment purposes and will test them out too. I am assuming it till tell me my coordinates and direction heading without cell service.

Perhaps next Tuesday I will start the GPS NAV in the 3G zone and take it into the dead/no coverage area of my route and see if you guys are right. It does seem to make sense that it would based on what I have found from playing aroung with it thus far.

It would be great if you could confirm that and post about it.

Upvote 0
OK, I have searched & read, and don't see any answers. My Maps shows me directions but does not have voice turn by turn. Although better then nothing, not any good when your driving. I went to Maps help page, didn't find anything there. Is there a setting that turns on the voice direction? I thought the docking station was not required. I thought if I had Blue Tooth on I would get directions in my ear?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones