• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Maps qeustion

devour

Lurker
Apr 20, 2010
Google Maps is installed and navigation works with turn by turn on screen and gps is tracking but, there is no voice command. Anyone know if the voice commands can be turned on in google maps/navigation and if so, what am I doing wrong?

For what it's worth, in "settings", "speach synthesis", the menu option to install voice data is not lighted/available. Dont know if this means I have already installed or if it is just not available to install.

This feature works on my droid and I love it, I hope this is just a glitch you guys can help me correct and not a verizon manuver to force use of vz navigator.

Google Maps is installed and navigation works with turn by turn on screen and gps is tracking but, there is no voice command. Anyone know if the voice commands can be turned on in google maps/navigation and if so, what am I doing wrong?

For what it's worth, in "settings", "speach synthesis", the menu option to install voice data is not lighted/available. Dont know if this means I have already installed or if it is just not available to install.

I haven't seen any way to give voice commands to Google maps. This may be a 2.0/2.1 feature. Speech synthesis would be for output and mine is grayed out as well. I assume that means I've already downloaded it. I have speech output during directions.

Upvote 0
Aaaahhh! That's what I meant by my qeustion.... I DO NOT have SPEECH OUTPUT on DIRECTIONS.. if you do then that's great news, it exists.. now if only I could figure out what is wrong here...
Voice command would be great too, but I am just trying to get the speech on navigation/directions... Anyone ??

Upvote 0
Aaaahhh! That's what I meant by my qeustion.... I DO NOT have SPEECH OUTPUT on DIRECTIONS.. if you do then that's great news, it exists.. now if only I could figure out what is wrong here...
Voice command would be great too, but I am just trying to get the speech on navigation/directions... Anyone ??

Silly possibility, but do you think your mutlimedia volume might be too low? There phone is buggy with respect to the volume output in a number of areas?

Upvote 0
Got It!!!

Deleted the voice file named "svox" from the sd card, reinitiated maps asked it to navigate, when it prompted to (re)download voice file, i did. Everything now works!!

Must have been a glitch as i suspected...

Google maps is so powerful its spooky.. Navigation allows you to select from alternate routes. If you add way point you can alter your route to avoid things such as traffic or tolls.. Satelite view can see what I have in my yard! "My location" is usually accurate enough to know which room I am in at home (in satelite view).. Use "whats nearby" and every legitimate business automatically comes up..and in street level view you can read storefront signs!! ALL FOR FREE

Why would anyone pay 10 bucks a month to verizon for an inferior navigation system..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones