• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Messages failed to send

thaKing

Android Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2012
Lex Vegas
In the past month, or so, I acquired a Galaxy Watch 4 Classic and in order to utilize texts on the watch I switched my texting app from Textra to Google Messages. I never had an issue with Textra in the years I've used it. However, with Messages I get a "failed to send" on a text at least once a day. I have no idea why it's happening or what to do to correct it.

On att with S22 Ultra.

On my Galaxy Note20 Ultra, the default is just called Messages, not Google Messages. However I don't have a Galaxy Watch, so can't say how well it works.
Screenshot_20220707-092557_Messages.jpg

Upvote 0
On my Galaxy Note20 Ultra, the default is just called Messages, not Google Messages. However I don't have a Galaxy Watch, so can't say how well it works.
View attachment 163202
Samsung chose to use Google Messages and not Messages as the default messaging app.

Note - the failure does not have to due with the watch, just explaining why I switched. Messaging from the phone fails at times.

Upvote 0
Samsung chose to use Google Messages and not Messages as the default messaging app.

On my Note20 there is no Google Messages, it only came with the stock Samsung one, as shown previously. Which I assume would work perfectly with the Galaxy Watches. I actually have a Huawei Band 4 myself, and the Messages notifications do come through on that.

Note - the failure does not have to due with the watch, just explaining why I switched. Messaging from the phone fails at times.

Never had any failed messages, not with this phone, although I don't tend to send SMS and MMS too often. Most of my messaging is either via Telegram or WeChat.

Upvote 0
You are actually sending SMS/MMS, not RCS ("Chat") messages? These are quite different things, and Google's Messages supports both, so best to know what we are dealing with.

Is there any pattern to who they fail to send to? And if you resend does it go through?

I don't use Google's app, but it's the default in my wife's Pixel so I expect she does. She's never had any problems with messages failing, though for certain she's only sending SMS (not even MMS - nobody I know uses that any more), and we're probably using different networks from you or your recipient (we're British). Unfortunately knowing that someone else doesn't have the problem doesn't tell us why you do.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
If you have received a message from someone and found that it didn't get sent, you may have noticed that you've been receiving an annoying notification in your Notification panel. Sadly, you can't do much about this message, and it keeps coming back every time you launch the Messages app. What should you do? In this article, we'll provide you with some advice to help you fix the issue.

Upvote 0
@ocnbrze that I'm not sure of. Some folks are work colleagues and I don't know what phone they are on.

@James_Watson all updated

@Hadron I don't see anything in the settings about RCS (maybe I'm overlooking it). And the settings groups SMS/MMS together. As for patterns, I don't really see one. When I think I do, something different happens. For example, it started happening when I'd send a pic and text together. It would take a couple of resends to work. Now it's happening with just text, no pic.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones