• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google navigation update

thequeenscheese

Android Expert
Nov 8, 2010
ive just tried to use google navigation and it appears to have updated but does not work and forces close of the app, this is poor i havnt asked for a beta update nor do i want it i use the sat nav for work now im scuppered im about to set off and look at some jobs this simply isnt good enough for a system people rely on..

true. it just openes and shut down a few times so i pulled the battery and that seemed to help. the map is slightly different for before...not as informative..wont tell you what the next exit is. thats my major complaint. but whats weird is i was doing a search for a location on my desktop and when i went to my phone, what i was searching for on the pc was shown on the navigation app. pretty cool and weird.

Upvote 0
yeah there was lots of saved locations/ recently visited places when my phone was doing nothing just in my pocket, it did start to work but have to say im not liking it too much, also it doesnt keep/give option to show map at destination which is pretty poor.

I was launching it from the nav blue triangle as i always have..

Upvote 0
I was launching it from the nav blue triangle as i always have..

The blue triangle has been removed with the new update (I still had it as a shortcut on my homescreen, but once removed you can't get it back...and to be honest you don't need it)

I never had any issues with it crashing since I updated, so try the suggestions of rebooting and clearing the apps data if it still isn't behaving properly. I quite like the new maps, only thing is there is no "exit" option...some people have said once they have come out of the app it has continued to give them directions, but again, I haven't experienced this.

Upvote 0
The blue triangle has been removed with the new update (I still had it as a shortcut on my homescreen, but once removed you can't get it back...and to be honest you don't need it)

I never had any issues with it crashing since I updated, so try the suggestions of rebooting and clearing the apps data if it still isn't behaving properly. I quite like the new maps, only thing is there is no "exit" option...some people have said once they have come out of the app it has continued to give them directions, but again, I haven't experienced this.

Yes, it seems we're all experiencing differnet issues and results with this update. We all have the same phone, but likely different carriers, some rooted, others not,...

After I installed the maps update, both my maps and navigation icons dissapeared from my home screen. I found and reestablished my maps icon, but the navigation icon/app was nowhere to be found. But as nuttynat states, you really don't need the navigation icon anymore.

I was the person who was experiencing continued navigation directions even after I arrived and was told I arrived at my destination. It's not done it since, so maybe it was just a slight glitch and I'll not have the problem anymore. Further use will tell.

Upvote 0

it's missing several things that made the previous version better.
there's no quick launch for traffic that used to be in the lower left corner. and from that screen there is no reroute option.

Upvote 0
in the sun we've had I've also noticed its barley viewable with screen glare in the new colour scheme, it also seems a touch behind where the car actually is, it is particularly quiet without hands free through the stereo, did anyone also notice thag this seemingly rushed version just happened to update (for me anyway) just after street-porter slated the colour scheme on the gadget show?
Also im finding the lack of a map feature after reaching destination is a problem as we know postcodes dont cover every street or some arnt always spot on - or sometimes its usefull to drive with just the map on and no route, maps itself didnt used to do this as the screen would time out ive not tried this version yet but im guessing it will be the same...

is there a way to roll back to last version?

Upvote 0
well i did try the new version on a trip i used the old version to get to. what i found is that while the general voice direction which only come up right at the change or just after you completed the voice direction "head north on x street for 4 miles" after 4 miles it might say something but that is it no periodic updates or anything. also in a few spots it was telling me too early on to make the turn at the next street when you get close to your end point you may find it suggesting you come to the point from the opposite end which may be wrong in my case it was telling me to drive the wrong way down a one way street. so be sure to at least know you end route points in case you phone gets confused. this update fells like a back slide to me. i used before the maps app and the nav arrow but when comparing those versions the arrow was the best and most accurate now it seems the map app has taken over and i lost my accurate navi with my phone. i guess i will have to pony up and get a true navi device rather then use google again.

Upvote 0
yep its rubbish, also earlier my alarm went off while the nav wass in use wich then made it stop working for 4 attemped restarts this version looks nice but it really is gash, it couldnt even keep up with me once id parked and set of walking the last bit, it also at times jumped around the map in the close vacinity of where i actually was.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones