• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Play Music Update Data Usage Analysis

Levenly

Lurker
Jun 14, 2013
Google announced its update to the Google Play Music, so I am currently conducting some analysis to how the new data usage pans out. This will be a bit of a process, so this thread will be updated as I go along with it. I am trying to find songs that are about 3:30 seconds in length to try to keep the time streaming data consistent.

Equipment: Galaxy S4 on Verizon on 4G

Initial Play Music Data Usage (For Reference): June 3 - Present: 1.09 gb used

Foreground: 406mb
Background: 705mb

Data Usages:

Low Quality, no caching: 413mb foreground, 705mb background (+7mb)
Normal Quality, no caching: 435 foreground, 705mb background (+22mb)

I'm not going to comment much on the aesthetics of sound quality at different settings as connectivity, headphones, and personal tastes will obviously affect people's opinions.

However, just switching to another song and pausing it appears to instantly streams the song. Skipping two songs after I played a song, not even listening to them, brought my usage up to 449 mb for a cost of 14mb for skipping both songs.

So searching for music and skipping through songs immediately will cost you a nice chunk of data at Normal Quality. Each skip appears to be equivalent to listening to a 3:30 song at Low Quality. A bit much, but a large improvement since the previous update perhaps.

I will post a little more later as I do more thorough testing for the radio feature.

Reactions: El Presidente

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones