• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Play services

dmodert66

Android Expert
Oct 24, 2009
Southern California
Just wanted to comment that today for some reason, Google Play Services cannibalized my battery. I do have the new launcher installed if that matters. Anyway, I am going to restart the phone and give it another go tomorrow. It's currently sitting at 11h 46min on battery with 14% remaining (and I plugged it into my car charger for 1 hour!). Normally I get about 1 - 2 days. Google Play services usage is at 61%. Never had this happen before. Anyone else experience this?

Which new launcher?My battery life yesterday was about 10% worse than usual, but not as bad as yours.

I think he maybe talking about the Google Experience Launcher like that on the N5.

If so, then sideloading a launcher not designed for the phone is not probably a smart idea. The Google Experience Launcher was designed specifically for the Nexus 5. Until Google puts it on the Play Store (if they do), I wouldn't use it.

Upvote 0
Yep, sorry, it is the Google Experience Launcher but I have had it installed for several days with no battery drain (and works great by the way).

After a reboot last night today has been more normal for me. Heavier than normal use and I'm at 45% (13h 36m on battery). Google Play Services didn't even show up today in my battery usage (same as others are reporting). Weird. Just glad my phone is back to normal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones