• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google satellite imagery + MGRS coordinates

bericd

Lurker
Nov 9, 2013
Greetings by a noob! :)

I recently bought a Haier W718 with Android 4.2.2. I tested a lot of gps apps but none of them does what I want.
Just to be clear - I have absolutely no interest in any kind of navigation apps.
I wanted to ask two things :
- is it possible to use the GPS over Google satellite imagery whilst offline? I know older versions of Google Maps have a "save map" function, but I can't find a way to do that with the satellite images. When online - if browse through Google Earth imagery it obviously gets saved in the cache or something. I don't know. But I can use the satellite imagery later when I'm offline, although the quality is poor and I have to browse through the entire area for it to be saved in the cach. Is there an easier and possibly cheaper way to do that?
- is there any way I can use the Google satellite imagery for GPS and at the same time add a MGRS-layer? I want to see the satellite photo, where I am, a MGRS grid and possibly my coordinates in some corner.

Thank you in advance and I'm sorry if my questions seem stupid...noob. :)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones