• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google servies won't sync/work after rooting! Help!

Tom Thumb

Lurker
Oct 7, 2014
I just rooted my phone and removed what I thought was all the "bloatware" that came on it, and suddenly none of the google services work.

So what's happening:
- Play Store shows permanent "server error" (retry)
- Gmail is stuck on "Getting your messages", and "waiting for sync"
- Using the browser to access gmail or any google+ service results in "Couldn't establish a secure connection"
- Can't log into the YT app
- My Drive displays "Error retrieving documents"
- Google play games, such as quizup for example, that require a sign-in don't work

Thinking this is a sync error, I go to Accounts > Google

- Under my X@gmail.com address is "sync error" and to the left of that is is the two sync arrows in red.
- At the bottom is "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly"

I have already tried:
- Removing my account from the device, restarting, and signing in again
- Clearing the cache and stored data on all google apps
- turning google apps such as the play store and gmail off and on.
- data usage > settings > auto sync data is enabled

None of these things work.

I think I might have disabled something that's somehow critical to all google services.

This is kind of important since I can't use my phone for email any more, nor can I get any new apps through the play store.

I made a backup on Samsung Kies before rooting, so I can unroot as my last option here. - and regarding that, which stock rom should I get? There are roms for all regions/providers. I don't have a provider, I have a month-to-month plan. Is there a basic unlocked stock rom?

Ok quick update - I just un-rooted using SuperSU's 1-click unroot command. Everything seems to be working again, with the exception of the play store, which is either not working, or just absurdly slow. It's been stuck on the grey spinning circle for 2 minutes. It's not throwing me a "retry" error though. Also, I'm still seeing "sync error" in the settings.

I still might have to do a reset. Now that I'm "un-rooted", is it safe to do a factory reset and then restore backup via Kies??

Can anyone explain why this is happening?

Thanks.

Edit again: after another reboot, play store is working again, still seeing sync error though.

Upvote 0
Hello, so I just rooted my phone and had the same trouble as you, this is why I'm here. Complete panic.
I noticed that the date on the phone was from when I bought it, simply went into Date & Time and checked the automatic time through my network. Everything is now back to normal, expect that it's rooted. Might work for you too. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones