• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Sky Map

hstroph

Android Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2012
It's about an hour before local sunset, and there's a moon in sky approaching full moon in a few days. I point the rear camera on my Nexus 4 towards it, using Google Sky Map app, and the moon doesn't show. I have to point the rear camera lens substantially east and below the horizon to view the phase of the moon that is clearly visible within sight.

Does anyone have an idea of what's wrong with this application please?

Thanks, the idea of timing also occurred to me after posting, as the app-indicated position in the sky would be some hours prior to the actual position at the time.

The Nexus 4 is configured for "Automatic date & time" and "Automatic time zone", so I'm not sure how anything further could be done wrt clock time. I use a 24-hour clock, but that shouldn't matter, one thinks.

GPS works properly, as yesterday (using Google Maps) it provided me with the exact parking spot and vehicle/phone orientation in a reasonable-sized parking area.

Not sure what else to consider here ...

Upvote 0
Thanks, the idea of timing also occurred to me after posting, as the app-indicated position in the sky would be some hours prior to the actual position at the time.

The Nexus 4 is configured for "Automatic date & time" and "Automatic time zone", so I'm not sure how anything further could be done wrt clock time. I use a 24-hour clock, but that shouldn't matter, one thinks.

GPS works properly, as yesterday (using Google Maps) it provided me with the exact parking spot and vehicle/phone orientation in a reasonable-sized parking area.

Not sure what else to consider here ...

Just to be sure, do you have the Sky App set to determine location by GPS, and not network? I had it set to GPS, but it seemed to have reset to "by network" after an update.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Just to be sure, do you have the Sky App set to determine location by GPS, and not network? I had it set to GPS, but it seemed to have reset to "by network" after an update.

"Always use GPS" is still checked, yet I don't find a GPS notification icon present.

Compass direction indications are correct within the app, according to such things as NP, SP and directions stated on the horizon line.

Upvote 0
Did you do the figure 8 reset pattern?

Well, I hadn't heard of that technique before, and after searching for it I find "Hold the device at arms length and move it in a figure eight pattern."

Even though it makes no sense, it appears that the sun is now in (roughly) the correct position, given the effort to see the screen with the sun behind it. I'll check the indicated position several minutes after local sunset.

Thank you for that hint.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones