• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice Full Integration

With the 5/16 update, it definitely seems to be more reliable as far as receiving texts quickly.

The developer says that it shouldn't matter if you have the notification icon on or off now, so you can leave it whichever way you want.

Sounds like he's still having trouble with getting the Go SMS popup to work. I think he has it working for incoming, but replying through the popup sounds like it'll be tricky.

If you do a lot of google voice texting, are sick of the official google voice app (who wouldn't be) and you are rooted, you'd be crazy not to use this app.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same sending problem that was reported upthread by chargedbird. I also have issue where it's causing my wifi to error out, but that gets fixed by a reboot. The messages are inbound into the native app, or whatever else I have used (chompsms and gosms), but no matter the settings I toggle, I can't get messages to send through my GV account. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Upvote 0
@luxluthor - great find/posts. I agree with your comments that GV app is not very desirable to use and i like having sms separate from everything else. So now I am close to full integration with GV and apps for android:

GV (Calls) + stock dialer app = full integration
- send
- receive
- notifications
- history

GV (Text) + GoSMS app = partial integration
- send
- receive
- notifications (partial to full integration for various roms/phones)
- history (does not sync deleted threads from go sms to GV and vice versa)

GV (Vmail/Visual Vmail/Transcriptions) = ????????????
- a little off topic, but has anyone come up with a solution to be able to integrate GV Vmails into a visual vmail app? If not, then I will prop just stick with the GV app for just vmails, but anyone know how to make it laucnch into the "vmail" label instead "inbox" label on start. Or maybe a way to make homescreen shortcut that launches straight into GV app "vmail" label. Any ideas?

I'd like to have the 3 apps on my dock that respectively integrate with GV calls, texts, and visual vmail.

Upvote 0
Works fine with the stock sms text messaging program. Better yet works perfect with GO SMS Pro. I could not get it to work with Handcent not sure why. However I have replaced Handcent with GO SMS Pro and this program ties GO SMS Pro to Google Voice seamlessly. Option to turn off icon in notification bar would be nice but not worth dinging a whole point.Be sure to read Developers tips on setting up the Google Voice App settings on the overview.

Upvote 0
Don't mean to wake the dead, but....

I have this installed on my new galaxy nexus gsm.

I have rooted and done all of the configuration with google voice.

When I send a text message, via the stock messaging app (gv integration set to send all texts though gv) it still shows coming from my Straight talk number.

Driving me nuts.

Upvote 0
Sorry to resurrect this thread but i just tried doing this and i really don't understand the difference from the paid and the free one, but anyhow i am using a Nightly Build of CM10 on my GNex and using the Native Messaging Integration and getting notifications on receive. So it is all working good here, i will check my bill later to see if i am being charged.

Upvote 0
No matter what I do, I can't seem to get sound notifications to my GV number. I have GV sms integration installed along with GV. Have set to send and receive via go sms. GV notifications for text off, icon set to off in GV integ. I get notifications from native number texts, just not GV number.

I get the texts, just no sound notification. Starting to pull out my hair! Didn't work on my NOte or Gnex.

Think I might have worked it out. Will have to wait for a text.

Nope. Not getting texts at all, except those sent from another google voice # via talkatone or GV.

After further checking, it can take up to 5 business days for texts to kick in. It's only been 1 business day here. So i will wait not too patiently.

Also read a very interesting article about how a ported number can be so messed up by the number owners who do not keep up their data bases. Ex- my number started out owned by cingular. It went to ATT, back to cingular, then back to ATT (their crazy mergers 10 years ago). Then I ported to tmobile, then to straight talk, now to google voice. If all the changes weren't kept up as to who owned and operated the sms layer of that number, then texting won't work till everybody is on the same page. Very complicated, since sms and calling are separate functions apparently. And this sms area is not regulated by ANYBODY. So no one is on top of things to do their jobs correctly and things can get lost or buried easily with no one to answer to. Hmmmm.

update- took about a week before my texting to google voice number kicked in. All is well now.

Upvote 0
If I could only get this to work...

I'm using my (rooted) HTC Glacier (MyTouch 4g) as a wifi only device. I work from home, and I don't see the point of paying for something I wont use a lot, so I choose Google Voice for my texting needs.

As stated before, I'm rooted. I have GV SMS Integration, the stock Messages, and the Google Voice app on my home page.

I have things set up as follows:

Integration is active, sending messages through my GV account to ALL contacts. Everything is set to go through the stock Messages app.

In the Google Voice app, I have everything off, and messages set to go through the Google Voice app (this is how it's done on iOS, so I figured it would apply here as well.)

I'm currently not receiving any notifications, and I'm only able to send/receive messages via the Google Voice app.

Should I throw my phone away and never return to the internet, or...?

help! :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Upvote 0
I just wanted to throw this out to users of this app that are having issues with it not integrating. No guarantees that this will work for you, but here's what I discovered. I have run this app successfully on both a Droid Bionic and a Galaxy Nexus, running multiple ROMs (CM9,10 variants, MIUI and stock). The key to getting it working was having the latest version of Busybox (free busybox installers are available on google play). In order to get it to work, I had to disable integration in the app, uninstall the GV Integration App, then upgrade busybox, then reinstall the app and set everything up again. Also, make sure you have the google voice app to receive messages- don't select receive via messaging app. Its a total pain, but i have gotten it to work on every ROM I've tried. If your phone isn't rooted, I'm not sure what the solution is.

As far as the app itself, it works pretty well. When you try to send an app from the native messaging program, it pops up and asks if you want to send it via google voice or your regular cell number. You can also set it to automatically reply to a text with whatever number a text was sent to. In other words, if my coworkers text me at my regular number, it will automatically reply back with that number. When my friends text me at my google voice number, it automatically replies back with that number.

If/When you can get the application to integrate correctly, it works pretty darn well. Getting this app to work almost made me want to throw my phone away and never return to the internet ;), so hopefully my struggles will help others.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I am new to the form and my main intention is to use the native messaging app to the fullest. I own a rooted S3 and no text plan. I like GV but the interface is too poor.

So I installed the app, enabled integration (the phone restarted as per the design), configured to receive text messages on via the Google voice app (under Sync and Notifications --> Receive text messages via the Google Voice app)and sent a text from another phone to my GV number. Two scenarios:

1. I enable GV text notifications. Receive duplicate notifications on the status bar - one via GV app and another via native messaging app.

2. I disable GV text notifications. No notifications on the status bar. But when I open my GV app, I see the received text.

I know the developer is no longer supporting the app. But for people like me who love the native messaging app of S3 and "free" texting via GV, this app is a great solution and I want to make it work.

Any pointers?

Thanks,
Hari

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I am new to the form and my main intention is to use the native messaging app to the fullest. I own a rooted S3 and no text plan. I like GV but the interface is too poor.

So I installed the app, enabled integration (the phone restarted as per the design), configured to receive text messages on via the Google voice app (under Sync and Notifications --> Receive text messages via the Google Voice app)and sent a text from another phone to my GV number. Two scenarios:

1. I enable GV text notifications. Receive duplicate notifications on the status bar - one via GV app and another via native messaging app.

2. I disable GV text notifications. No notifications on the status bar. But when I open my GV app, I see the received text.

I know the developer is no longer supporting the app. But for people like me who love the native messaging app of S3 and "free" texting via GV, this app is a great solution and I want to make it work.

Any pointers?

Thanks,
Hari

I'd try this app instead:
Messaging + Google Voice

It has issues with the latest Google Voice update, but works fine on the previous version (which I think works better anyway).
Here's a link to the previous version of Google Voice if you want it:

Google Voice .4.2.72

Reactions: Hari Shah
Upvote 0
Thanks for the previous GV version decalex. The Messaging + Google Voice is a great alternative. But I love my S3's stock messaging app and I want to use this in conjunction with an app that supports GV. The GV SMS Integration app seemed ideal. If only I could get it working! Let me see if I can get this working with the previous version of GV.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones