• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice in ICS

flashvenom

Lurker
Nov 9, 2012
I really don't know what I'm missing here. But I can't get Google Voice SEARCH on ICS. I'm new to Android, but I'm also a tech guy so the transition from iOS has been extremely easy.

Hi by the way, I was browsing forums, and the ad to join this one seemed so friendly: "Ask our forum of thousands of users your question!" So here I am...

Is the Siri-killing app "Google Voice Search" an app, or is it built into Jelly Bean. I have called my carrier, Google, and Samsung, and they all couldn't answer my question. The best I have right now is the mic button on my Google widget that just searches Google. But what if I want to voice-dial, voice to text, set a reminder, etc. (Don't even get me started on S-Voice, not only does it not read my voice well, the attendant voice is even more annoying than Siri's)

So, I have installed Google Voice Search in the Play store, but there is no app for Google Voice Search. There is no "open" or "uninstall" button like the other apps in the play store at the top of the app page. It's NOT in my "Manage applications" in the Android settings, but it IS in my "Installed Applications" in the Play store.

I have the mic with the red circle. Not the grey mic button. Why. I was reading that Google submitted the voice search app to the App(le) Store but they were dragging their feet and it got me thinking if iOS can have this, why the heck can't ICS? Do I really have to wait for Jelly Bean or is there a defect with my phone like my carrier has *hinted* at?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones