Google Voice

Last Updated:

1. buffpac5

buffpac5 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all, new to the forum, android, and smart phones. My Droid is going to be arriving Monday and I want to be able to hit the ground running.

I am really excited to finally be getting a new piece of technology. I have been trying to find a solid answer to this question... is Google Voice a VoIP app? If not, are there are VoIP apps currently available

I am wondering because I want to be able to use(or not use) my plan minutes efficiently.

Any help regarding Google Voice or VoIP's for the Droid would be appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. Aerimus

Aerimus Well-Known Member

Google voice will use your plan minutes. It's not totally unlike a VOIP for somethings, unfortunately it is not a workaround for avoiding minute usage.

3. RobotJaxxon

RobotJaxxon Member

Google Voice uses VoIP, but doesn't replace a phone. Check out Gizmo 5 or Truphone. Gizmo 5 integrates with GV.

4. QuesoGrande

QuesoGrande Well-Known Member

Doh! Really?? I always thought you could use GV over a data connection without using minutes. I thought that was the cause of the big uproar and why the AT&T/Apple axis was blocking it from the iPhone. If that's not the case, then what's the big deal?

Anyway... at some point, I saw something where you can integrate GTalk with GV. Anybody know if this is an alternative? It would probably be a PIA and not worth the effort/hassle, but I'm just curious.