• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

buffpac5

Lurker
Nov 6, 2009
Hello all, new to the forum, android, and smart phones. My Droid is going to be arriving Monday and I want to be able to hit the ground running.

I am really excited to finally be getting a new piece of technology. I have been trying to find a solid answer to this question... is Google Voice a VoIP app? If not, are there are VoIP apps currently available

I am wondering because I want to be able to use(or not use) my plan minutes efficiently.

Any help regarding Google Voice or VoIP's for the Droid would be appreciated.

Doh! Really?? I always thought you could use GV over a data connection without using minutes. I thought that was the cause of the big uproar and why the AT&T/Apple axis was blocking it from the iPhone. If that's not the case, then what's the big deal?

Anyway... at some point, I saw something where you can integrate GTalk with GV. Anybody know if this is an alternative? It would probably be a PIA and not worth the effort/hassle, but I'm just curious.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones