• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Got it, vv3 with a zva kernel!

zandersig

Android Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2012
Atlanta, GA, USA
Well I did it, I'm running vv3 stock, rooted, debloated and I installed the Black Plaque kernel and it's up and running. I also tried the Blitz kernel but it made my phone scroll way too choppy. The plaque one is kinda choppy.... I wish someone could put the "smooth scroll mod" in the "Black Plaque" kernel for me or tell me how to install it then I would be good to go!

Here are the specs from Set CPU (I tried going up to 1.8ghz but it made my phone restart every time) I really need that smooth scroll mod badly....

Check this out....

"Board: lge_cayman
Product: cayman_mpcs_us
Model: LG-MS840
Device: cayman
Build: GRK39F
lge/cayman_mpcs_us/cayman:2.3.6/GRK39F/MS840VV3.48025003:user/release-keys
Manufacturer: LGE
Brand: lge
CPU ABI: armeabi-v7a

Kernel
Linux version 2.6.35.11-Plague+ (playfulgod@The-Monster) (gcc version 4.4.3 (GCC) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Aug 5 14:51:40 EDT 2012"

And

"Frequency : 1620000 KHz
Load Avg : 11.02 11.32 9.12 3/901 13406

Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 13.53

Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3
CPU implementer : 0x51
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0x02d
CPU revision : 2

Hardware : QCT MSM8X60 CHARM FFA
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000000000000"

So it can be done, just thought this would be good info to share.

Thanks all!

zan817889 said:
Well I did it, I'm running vv3 stock, rooted, debloated and I installed the Black Plaque kernel and it's up and running. I also tried the Blitz kernel but it made my phone scroll way too choppy. The plaque one is kinda choppy.... I wish someone could put the "smooth scroll mod" in the "Black Plaque" kernel for me or tell me how to install it then I would be good to go!

Here are the specs from Set CPU (I tried going up to 1.8ghz but it made my phone restart every time) I really need that smooth scroll mod badly....

Check this out....

"Board: lge_cayman
Product: cayman_mpcs_us
Model: LG-MS840
Device: cayman
Build: GRK39F
lge/cayman_mpcs_us/cayman:2.3.6/GRK39F/MS840VV3.48025003:user/release-keys
Manufacturer: LGE
Brand: lge
CPU ABI: armeabi-v7a

Kernel
Linux version 2.6.35.11-Plague+ (playfulgod@The-Monster) (gcc version 4.4.3 (GCC) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Aug 5 14:51:40 EDT 2012"

And

"Frequency : 1620000 KHz
Load Avg : 11.02 11.32 9.12 3/901 13406

Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 13.53

Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3
CPU implementer : 0x51
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0x02d
CPU revision : 2

Hardware : QCT MSM8X60 CHARM FFA
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000000000000"

So it can be done, just thought this would be good info to share.

Thanks all!

I already confimed this like 4 weeks ago lol after I messed up my radios with cm10
:smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
Why are you using the Plague kernel?? If you were concerned with battery life, you're going about it all wrong LOL. If anything use #2 speed kernel. It won't overclock but it's faster than stock kernel. BP and BOC kernels don't offer enough performance to justify the battery consumption, reboots and freeze-ups. Remember, you're running shytty Gingerbread firmware that LG barfed up, and there is only so much you can do with it. The choppy scroll should be fixed with appropriate firmware, not a patch LOL

I'll offer to save you the time and tell you to just flash VV4 and leave it alone. For me, it offered the best battery life, smoothest scrolling and best in data connection. Yeah, it won't root but that's a small price to pay for sustained performance, esp on a Connect running GB. I've spent hours and possibly days flashing all of the same shyt you are doing, and all it does is cause instability. Trust me, the only real cure for the Connect is something other than GB.

Upvote 0
How do i install vv4?

Go here, download VV4 firmware under MS840V:

http://androidforums.com/connect-4g...connect-ms840-ms840v-firmware-newest-vv5.html

Then go here, follow instructions carefully:

http://androidforums.com/connect-4g...ick-unroot-update-lg-connect.html#post5767102

* If you install this, you WILL lose root access and CWM if you already have them. There is no way of rooting VV4 or VV5 yet. AFAIK.

* After flashing the new firmware, and the phone is up and running, give it one last reboot from power menu before exploring the firmware.

* If your phone goes into boot loop after flashing VV4 firmware, simply remove battery, reinstall, press and hold Power and Vol- keys until recovery comes up. Confirm factory reset and all should be good.

* If you're not happy with VV4 and want your old firmware back, flash ZVA or VV3 using unbrick guide. Then proceed to root, add CWM back, and simply restore your Nand backup image.

If you run into any trouble there are a few of us here that may be able to help, either myself, sammyz or jlede. Just READ EVERYTHING CAREFULLY and you should be fine.

Reactions: Lito007
Upvote 0
Why are you using the Plague kernel?? If you were concerned with battery life, you're going about it all wrong LOL. If anything use #2 speed kernel. It won't overclock but it's faster than stock kernel. BP and BOC kernels don't offer enough performance to justify the battery consumption, reboots and freeze-ups. Remember, you're running shytty Gingerbread firmware that LG barfed up, and there is only so much you can do with it. The choppy scroll should be fixed with appropriate firmware, not a patch LOL

I'll offer to save you the time and tell you to just flash VV4 and leave it alone. For me, it offered the best battery life, smoothest scrolling and best in data connection. Yeah, it won't root but that's a small price to pay for sustained performance, esp on a Connect running GB. I've spent hours and possibly days flashing all of the same shyt you are doing, and all it does is cause instability. Trust me, the only real cure for the Connect is something other than GB.

Hey, the only links that I found were for the BP Kernel and the brokenout's blitzkrieg kernel... Can you hook me up with #2 kernel and have you tried it with vv3? BTW I need root so right now I am stuck on vv3. :)

Also how can I get the Scroll Mod and the Data Unthrothler installed on my phone with using my stock rom, booted, de-bloated and with just kernels installed? Seems like the link up top for the mod you have to be running a special ROM? See my replies here... my questions are all on the last pages.

http://androidforums.com/connect-4g...tle-remover-black-plague-rom.html#post5818958

http://androidforums.com/connect-4g-all-things-root/574148-mod-smoothscroll.html#post5818972

http://androidforums.com/connect-4g...29-mod-data-governor-remover.html#post5818978

And again Spec2nirvash thanks for all the help, I was a noob about 6 months ago but now I am only a half noob! WooHoo! LOL! ;)

Upvote 0
Hey, the only links that I found were for the BP Kernel and the brokenout's blitzkrieg kernel... Can you hook me up with #2 kernel and have you tried it with vv3? BTW I need root so right now I am stuck on vv3. :)

Also how can I get the Scroll Mod and the Data Unthrothler installed on my phone with using my stock rom, booted, de-bloated and with just kernels installed? Seems like the link up top for the mod you have to be running a special ROM? See my replies here... my questions are all on the last pages.

http://androidforums.com/connect-4g...tle-remover-black-plague-rom.html#post5818958

http://androidforums.com/connect-4g-all-things-root/574148-mod-smoothscroll.html#post5818972

http://androidforums.com/connect-4g...29-mod-data-governor-remover.html#post5818978

And again Spec2nirvash thanks for all the help, I was a noob about 6 months ago but now I am only a half noob! WooHoo! LOL! ;)

I tried the throttle remover and all it did was kill my data off completely :( Maybe I did it wrong, but I had to flash new firmware to fix it.

And yes, I have #2 LG Speed kernel, haven't tried it with VV3. It may work if Plague and Blitzkrieg worked for VV3.... Maybe? I dunno. I don't have a file host account but I can e-mail the zipped Kernel, its only 5 MB. Send me a PM and give me an email Addr to send it to, if u want it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones