• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

got my Directv working on my droid

FUCCO

Jan 20, 2010
I hooked a hava monsoon tv box which is similar to a slingbox. I got the platnium model for $100. There is a app in the market called "test tube" that will allow u to accsess the hava box and control it completely. Hava has verified they will have a app for the droid out sometume next month. For now this works great. So for all of u looking for TV on ur droid. There it is

I have direct tv but unfortunately that post flew over my head, would you mind explaining it in simpler terms, maybe even a step by step, for an idiot?

If its anything like a "Slingbox":

1. Connect Hava/Monsoon box to your home router, via ethernet cable (may have to configure router to allow Hava/Monsoon traffic).
2. Connect Hava/Monsoon box to Direct TV box via Component/S-Video
3. Install Hava/Monsoon setup software on PC to Configure Hava/Monsoon box (setup login name/password).
4. Install Test Tube app from Android market, on Droid.
5. Connect to Hava/Monsoon box via Droid and Test Tube app.

Upvote 0
OK, can a few people chime in as to how well this works (both wifi/3g would be helpful). How choppy is it? I only ask, because I'm getting irritated with Adobe/Sling with all of the waiting. If I can buy one of these, and use it NOW on my phone, I'm in.

Also, when searching Hava, I only see "Monsoon" products. I am aware of the manufacturer (Monsoon), but is Hava discontinued in favor of the "Monsoon" based models? Or is Hava a different OEM? Just curious because I am loking at prices...

**EDIT** Should have said I currently have a Slingbox...But am willing to fork out some cash to get the functionality NOW rather than later...

Upvote 0
Oh shiz...I might just do this right now...Just a heads up to those that can't afford (or don't want to) shell out for one of these. They now have a subscription model. $9.99 a month for 24 months. This equates to $240. The model they ship you retails for $249.99 (probably can find cheaper on newegg or amazone though). It is the Titanium HD Wifi model. Once the 24 months are up, you can get a "lifetime subscription" (which is BS, since you really aren't subscribing to any content) and the hardware for $1! I'll update in this thread if I decide to do it...

**EDIT** Crap..Looks like it doesn't work over 3G atm on the iPhone. Can anyone confirm that it works over 3g on Android using "Test Tube"?

Sorry to keep editing, but yeah, according to comments for the app, in does indeed work over 3g...

Upvote 0
I am using it and it is the only thing right now to allow you to view your tv on your android. It doesn't render full screen, it is a little squashed left to right and the sound is off a couple of seconds. The only time the sound is an issue is when there is a talking head close-up and you read their lips. According to the author it is an android issue and he is working on it. In landscape it looks like 4:3 video on a wide screen tv. All that said, I use the app daily and am very satisfied with it. The author works hard and is trying to improve the app. The support is provided in a google group (just look for TestTube) and it has lots of information on setting up the app and your router. The main page with videos of setup is https://sites.google.com/site/overvoltagesoft/home/testtube.

I have the app running over 3g with Verizon and with wifi.

Upvote 0
This is the box i bought

Play Your TV Anywhere-Video Streamer; Place-Shifter; Mobile TV

i picked it up new on ebay for $104. It plugs into my router and into any of the directv/cable box out puts. The app works well. On wifi and 3G i have no complaints. I occassinlay get a audio lag of a second but it is few and far between. Overall i am pleased i can watch tv change the channels do everything i was looking for. Monsoon who makes the hava devices stated they will have a app in a month or so that will work with the droid. So i fgure it will only get better. If u want u home tv on droid this is the way to go.

Upvote 0
This is the box i bought

Play Your TV Anywhere-Video Streamer; Place-Shifter; Mobile TV

i picked it up new on ebay for $104. It plugs into my router and into any of the directv/cable box out puts. The app works well. On wifi and 3G i have no complaints. I occassinlay get a audio lag of a second but it is few and far between. Overall i am pleased i can watch tv change the channels do everything i was looking for. Monsoon who makes the hava devices stated they will have a app in a month or so that will work with the droid. So i fgure it will only get better. If u want u home tv on droid this is the way to go.

I've got the platinum HD also. I love it! I've heard the titanium with wifi might be more "challenging" to get to run nicely with testtube, but YMMV.

As far as the Hava client for Android, it is being made especially for the Volcano (or however they spell it this week!). On their forums there is a response from hava saying it should work with "most" hava boxes. Their track record for releasing and supporting new devices and software is, to be polite, miserable. I find testtube with my platinum to be perfect for my needs.

David

Upvote 0
this test tube app does what i need, i can view my tv change the channels everything. Just got audio delay sometimes but it is not a bigdeal. I figure if monsoon makes a android app then thats just a bonus but at this point i dont even care. This works great for its purpose.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones