• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Got rid of the OTA update nag

I followed the instructions above, made sure the change from 321334 to 264707 had been made, rebooted twice, then rebooted in hboot twice, but the nag is still on my phone and it acts like nothing changed.
Has anyone had this experience and if so, how was it solved?

I had it, and I fixed it using adb. Not hard, just a little messy. If you don't know (or want to know) how to install and use adb, I wouldn't suggest it.. if you do - google for instructions. That's where I found numerous detailed accounts.

Basically had to remove (renamed) the update certificates that allow the phone to fetch the update and since it had already gotten them, had to delete the cached update file itself. After that, no more nagging.

Reactions: Kubla
Upvote 0
Is this way still working for you guys? It didn't for me. I did the number change, rebooted twice and everything was fine until 5 to 6 hours later. I shut the phone off to change my battery and couldn't get it re-started. It went into a boot loop. Recovered from a backup ans still living with update message.

Edit: re-tried this and is working now. 2 days without nag. Thanks (i don't know what happened the first time)

Upvote 0
I had it, and I fixed it using adb. Not hard, just a little messy. If you don't know (or want to know) how to install and use adb, I wouldn't suggest it.. if you do - google for instructions. That's where I found numerous detailed accounts.

Basically had to remove (renamed) the update certificates that allow the phone to fetch the update and since it had already gotten them, had to delete the cached update file itself. After that, no more nagging.
Thanks for the response msjulie. I had thought this might be the way, but I didn't know what file to look for. I am using Root Explorer and I can see everything, but I didn't see anything that matched the (17.7) stated update download.
Would you let me know what file you renamed and where it is?
Another question: If I rename it and leave it, won't it just be a load on my memory?

Thanks agn.

Upvote 0
Would you let me know what file you renamed and where it is?
Another question: If I rename it and leave it, won't it just be a load on my memory?

Thanks agn.

For the update file itself, I don't recall the exact name but it was in a cache folder (I rummaged around to find it) and I nuked it. I think you'll know it when you see it..

I renamed /etc/security/otacerts.zip to .bak to stop my phone from being allowed to get new updates; I figured if I wanted them, I could just rename and it would show up again. BTW renaming this was not enough to stop the nag, I had to remove the already downloaded update file (above)

The only thing I took from this update was the new kernel as many had said battery charging was better. It's no worse for me, maybe it's better... I already used setCPU to throttle down on screen off etc so I can't say I've noticed any change in battery usage either

Good luck! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones