• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS problem with Samsung Galaxy Core

mhunsche

Lurker
Jul 18, 2016
Hi!
When playing I experience the following difficulties with my game (and with the Google Maps app, too)
- Sometimes it works fine, tracking my location and allowing me to get stops and pokémon along the way. However, this is rarely more than 5 minutes.
- My game character freezes in one spot (I'm still moving) for 10 - 60 seconds, then jumps forward to a location near me (within 100m). It usually freezes again after that.
- If I stop moving when my character is frozen on a spot, it will almost never catch up. I have to move to get it to jump (usually not to my location, as explained above).
- When standing still on a location, my game character jumps away from me and won't allow me to get the stop that I'm literally standing on. I have noticed that the spots where he jumps away to, are the same most of the time (if I stand in location A, it will usually jump to location B). The spots that the character jumps to are within 200m of my current location.

These attributes limit my game experience greatly, since there are many Pokémon I can't catch or Poké-stops I can't reach because my game thinks I'm not in the correct location.

During my searches to resolve this issue I have come across various "fixes", but none of them worked. This what I have already tried:
- Download and install the GPS Status & Toolbox app, diagnosing the different sensors (all green) and refreshing the aGPS data.
- Keeping my GPS on "highest accuracy"
- Keep Google Maps running in the background to get a better fix (When I go back to the app it always has to re-initialize, though)
- Uninstalling and reinstalling Pokémon GO and Google Maps
- Downloading the Google map for offline use (mostly to save data)
- Turn on airplane mode (which makes the game unusable, since you can't connect to the internet)
- Tightening the screws inside my phone (Worked for other Galaxy phones, so why not)
- Resetting my phone to factory settings. I currently have only the GPS toolbox, Whatsapp and Pokémon GO installed as custom apps.

During my search to resolve this issue, I have come across one other person that had this problem (that I know of). His phone was a Samsung Galaxy S3.
I have not rooted my phone, and I am hesitant to do so, since my previous phone became unstable after rooting it.

I hope someone can help me, and thanks in advance.

Edit: I noticed that I didnt properly state my phone type: It's a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime LTE (SM-G360F), and it's about a year old.

Last edited:
Ok after some more research and use of the GPS Toolbox, I noticed that every time I do something in the game (Start it, minimize it, visit a gym, Poké-stop or try to catch a Pokémon), my GPS loses all satellite connections. So it has to reconnect to them, which takes time and probably causes my "jumps".

This is just another piece of the puzzle. I hope someone can solve it for me or help me figure it out. Comments from users with the same kind of problems are welcome too; try to add as much info as possible to complete the puzzle and hopefully find a solution.

Upvote 0
As something of a veteran with these issues now, i've got just the information for you.

- GPS incorrectly locates you, teleporting you a distance away.
The fix for this lies in the reason: High accuracy is actually not as accurate a mode as one would think. It works well inside of buildings, because it latches onto wifi signals to locate you. It can be quite counterproductive outside however, since it will teleport you on top of nearby wifi hotspots if the gps gives up, locking you into place. Change to device only to get an accurate lock outside.

-GPS stops tracking after a few minutes, requiring you to effectively teleport from place to place.
The latest thing i've solved, and this will likely fix all of your gps and game issues that aren't simply bugs for everyone: Your phone does not have enough RAM. The phone is dumping processes required for the game after it loads too much, aka after spending some time in game or accessing a pokestop/pokemon. The fix? I've found an app called Roehsoft Ramexpander. it allows you to write a paging file onto your SD card if it's 12x or higher speed, effectively increasing your phone's RAM by up to 4GB. Yeah, that's right. 4 whole GB of extra ram. When the game states that it requires at least 2 GBs of ram, it's important to have at least that. The app does cost 10$ about, but finding a cracked apk was simple enough. You will however require a rooted phone for this, and the app does destabilize the phone somewhat i've found. Still, if all you want from your phone is to play pokemon go, it works.

Phone: Telus Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-t989d Hercules (781MB of internal RAM)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones