• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS Won't initiate

Danielson2047

Android Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2010
Portage, WI
Hi folks. Havin an issue with my VZW S4. When i go into an app that uses gps (ie ingress) the gps won't initiate. if i toggle it on and off it turns on and locks immediately. Its done this 3 times now in the past few weeks, i've factory reset twice which fixes it and it just did it again. I've cleared data on ingress, maps and google search, trying to think of anything that uses location. i'm getting tired of setting up my phone again, any ideas? Thanks.

I am not intimate with this device, but if you have had it new for less than a year, I would go ahead and try for a factory warranty replacement. You should not have to do a factory data reset more than once to fix that problem.

The only other thing I could suggest is try the free app, "GPS status". It is possibly a long shot, but I have been using it from time to time to 'kick start' my GPS lock on my Android devices since Nov 9, 2009 (release of Droid 1).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2

good luck

Upvote 0
So figured out the issue. Its something with google play services. I went into the location menu and guess i just never noticed that google play services was down in the list of recent apps to use location. When the gps issue starts, if i go in and clear data on google play services, the gps kicks back in in a second or two. So not sure why, but thats the app thats causing it. At least i don't have to do a factory reset anymore when it happens. sigh.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones