• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS work without cell service?

yes the gps will work, but it may not show where you are on a map because you need data to download the maps. google maps is supposed to cache a map for use when data is not available but im not sure how good it is. i know there are other maps in the android market, i dont remember any specific ones though, that are completely offline, meaning you dont need the data to download the map.

but back to your original question you dont need service for your gps to get a lock, they are completely different

Upvote 0
It absolutely DOES NOT need WiFi or Cell service. Neither does my Infuse, my iPhone 4, or my iPad 2 (GSM model - the WiFi iPad has no GPS chip AND ONLY USES WI-FI for GPS).

These devices all have dedicated GPS chips in them and the WiFi or Cell connection only enhances or assists (A-GPS) the GPS chip and can sometimes make your GPS lock faster.

If the GPS in the SII is as bad as the one in my Infuse (and I understand it is NOT) it might take forever to lock without WiFi or cell but right now I have turned off WIFI and CELL on both my Infuse and iPad and went into my backyard and I am able to lock the GPS on both devices. The iPad took 8 seconds to lock and the Infuse over 3 minutes. iNFUSE gps IS crap.

Upvote 0
It absolutely DOES NOT need WiFi or Cell service. Neither does my Infuse, my iPhone 4, or my iPad 2 (GSM model - the WiFi iPad has no GPS chip AND ONLY USES WI-FI for GPS).

These devices all have dedicated GPS chips in them and the WiFi or Cell connection only enhances or assists (A-GPS) the GPS chip and can sometimes make your GPS lock faster.

If the GPS in the SII is as bad as the one in my Infuse (and I understand it is NOT) it might take forever to lock without WiFi or cell but right now I have turned off WIFI and CELL on both my Infuse and iPad and went into my backyard and I am able to lock the GPS on both devices. The iPad took 8 seconds to lock and the Infuse over 3 minutes. iNFUSE gps IS crap.

Thanks for clarifying :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones