• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GS4 will not download apks

speedlever

Android Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2012
North Carolina
Does the stock browser still block apk downloads? I tried to get the new Google Play version today and regardless which mirror I choose, I never see any indication of the file being downloaded.

My workaround is to hop on my PC and download the file. Then I open up ES File Explorer on my GS4, navigate to my PC over wifi and copy/paste the apk to my GS4's download folder and then execute the apk.

That seems entirely too convoluted but at least it works. Why am I unable to download apk files straight to my GS4?

I am unrooted and use Nova Prime launcher. Android 4.4.2.

Thanks for trying that out. What indication did you have of the file being downloaded?

For anyone else what wants to try, here's a link to the article. The link to the new version is buried about 1/3 of the way in the page.
Google Play Store Update 4.9.13 Adds Material Design App And Content Pages [APK Download]

I had the same issue recently when I tried to get an update (before it was pushed out to me) of another app. So it must be something with my setup on my GS4.

Upvote 0
Of course you have the phone set to download apps from unknown sources?

^^^that is only for installation, ou should still be able to download.

OP, as far as an indicator for downloading you should see a down arrow in the notification bar. When you drag down the notification pane you should see the icon with a status bar showing the download progress.

Upvote 0
Good question, but yes, unknown sources is checked.

if i navigate to the site via Chrome, I can d/l the apk. But if I use my Android News app (my normal method), I thought it kicked me to the browser when I followed a link, but actually I'm not sure what it kicks me to, now that I look at it again.

Anyone else use the Android News app and have this issue of being unable to d/l apk files from within it?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.pinenuts.androidnoticias

I never thought to navigate there from outside that app.

Upvote 0
Thanks for trying that out. What indication did you have of the file being downloaded?

For anyone else what wants to try, here's a link to the article. The link to the new version is buried about 1/3 of the way in the page.
Google Play Store Update 4.9.13 Adds Material Design App And Content Pages [APK Download]
I could see the files I downloaded and install them. I also tried your link and again, I was able to download and open the APK. I didn't actually install it as I don't want it but there was a 7.19MB APK file in my download directory exactly as I would expect.

Upvote 0
Hmm. As mentioned above, if I navigate there with Chrome (the only browser I tried), I can download the apk file. But if I go there from within the Android News app, it takes me to the d/l page but the download never happens... or at least, not that I am aware of nor is it found in my downloads folder. So maybe this is an issue with that particular app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones