GSM and CDMA?

Last Updated:

1. zetroc

zetroc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've been trying to find some info on the speculated N1 for vzw... do you guys think it will come both CDMA and GSM? Basically just adding CDMA capabilities to the current model used by TMo.

If they just add CDMA on top of the GSM and the phone comes unlocked, I will probably be in heaven. But... how likely is that Google will do this?

Advertisement
  2. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.

3. zetroc

Yeah I didn't think so... it's too good to be true... :(

4. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Would anyone like to explain to me why the States continues with this backward GSM/CDMA split while the rest of the world standardizes GSM as the norm and lets everybody use whatever phone they please, wherever they like, with whatever carrier they choose?

5. NexusMMM

NexusMMM Well-Known Member

It's not as simple as you make it sound. You have different networks rolled out by different operators at a time when it wasn't clear which technology would become more of a "standard." Our networks are much older than yours and a product of technological footprints layed out by scores of different telecoms.

It's also a completely different model over here. Consumers are used to buying devices directly from the carriers at a heavily subsidized price. If a carrier is subsidizing 60% of the device's cost, they aren't going to want the same device to be able to run on a competitors network.

We'll see more uniformity with LTE data roll-out, but even with GSM now, we still have the issue of certain devices only supporting TMO OR ATT, not both. It's as much of an issue with the manufacturers as it is with the telcos.

6. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

I don't think any of qualcomm's basebands support botch CDMA and GSM. Also the antenna design, and memory footprint would be pretty big.

Its Extremly (with a big E) unlikely you will see GSM and CDMA.

7. zetroc

My current BlackBerry Tour is both a GSM and CDMA device, that's why I hoped that since the N1 is already GSM, they could just incorporate CDMA... this of course a hope not really knowing what it takes to make a device both GSM and CDMA compatible. Just wishful thinking if you will...

8. NexusMMM

Rim has done it with the 8800 World Phone series - i think that's running a qualcomm arm core

9. QrafTee

We're capitalist? We're encouraging competition and the different evolution of respective technologies among different companies? Most carriers in the U.S. are moving onto LTE anyway, so don't worry.

10. grainysand

That's hilarious. What exactly do you think capitalism has anything to do with it?

Resulting in end users/customers being stuck with a selection of handsets more limited than anywhere else in the world and which are also burdened with bloatware and carriers getting in the way of firmware updates? Oooh. Sounds real fantastic. Rock on, USA.

11. Pitamakan

Pitamakan Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if LTE phones in the US will use SIM cards? (Verizon's, in particular ...)

12. NexusMMM

I recall reading that verizon plans to introduce them in LTE devices but the sims will only be swappable for other Verizon lte devices.

13. Hegemony

Hegemony Well-Known Member

It's looking less and less likely that LTE will be the standard to unite them all. Sprint is moving ahead full speed with WiMAX. T-Mobile recently said they would move to 21Mb HSDPA, which isn't really a 4G technology... more like 3.5G. Only AT&T and Verizon have announced plans to got with LTE.

14. Pitamakan

Pitamakan Well-Known Member

Well, as long at AT&T and VZW adopt LTE, along with most of the foreign GSM carriers, it'll become the de facto worldwide standard. Sprint and T-Mobile will become the odd men out, and it'll be to their competitive disadvantage.

15. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

sprint and tmobile have been the odd men out for quite some time now. however they get their clientele by appealing to people in business markets(with sprints merger of nextel) adn cheaper plans.

so as i'm not totally threadjacking, the reason why you saw gsm in those other bb's was they were marketed as "world phones", ergo you paid a premium for them.

16. sk8skanj

sk8skanj Well-Known Member

Actually capitalization is the reason why there is the CDMA/GSM split, and the fact that the US is behind the rest of the world in phone technology. I suggest you look into cellular history circa the '70s.

17. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

lol yes, car phones started this disaster!

18. QrafTee

Free market which, in turn, encourages companies to use their own technology. It may not be the most efficient, but it's worked fairly well... up until now.

19. phenixdragon

phenixdragon Well-Known Member

The current Nexus One does not have a CDMA chip inside. Currently, if you buy a phone, you either go with GSM or CDMA. Some phones do offer both, such as 'World Phones' but they physically have 2 chips inside, one for GSM and one for CDMA. There was a company that announced a chip that actually supports GSM and CDMA but I don't we will ever see it as everyone is moving to WiMax or LTE. However, there are chips out there today and being used that support both WiMax and LTE. I think ClearWire uses this chip on their WiMax routers.

But the current Nexus One will never and can never support CDMA as it physically has the chip that supports CDMA. You can not change the software on a GSM chip to make it work. It would be l like taking an AM radio that doesn't support FM radio and getting it to support FM, or vis versa. It just can't happen.

20. phenixdragon

Pretty simple. There were several companies making cell phone equipment, and each persuaded various companies to pick them, and various companies did for various reasons. Each has their flaws and virtues. We actually have more then just CDMA and GSM. But for the most part, those are the only 2 that survived. Just like cars, we have unleaded and diesel. Each have their strong points and each have their weaknesses.

Or think of it like the HD format war with HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray, or VHS vs. Beta Max. Every company want's their product to be the standard to make more money.

21. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

Please stop threadjacking. If you guys want to debate this, there is an off topic section for a reason.

22. phenixdragon

Who is? The thread is about the current Nexus One being able to work with CDMA.

23. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

Blackberry 8800 uses a 32-bit Intel XScale PXA272 312 MHz processor, not made by Qualcomm. I didnt say its not possible, just that qualcomm don't have a app processor that supports both in one package afaik.

That means that they would need to use an external analog baseband at the least to add CDMA. Back to my original statement.. don't count on it!

Yeah, the current N1 cannot support CDMA, thats kinda obvious. We were talking about the new one for CDMA, and the posibility of it also having GSM. The need for an extra chip depends on if the APP processor has the analog baseband in the same die. Most new APP processors do to save power and board layout space, so its pretty unlikely you'll see a high end phone offering both until someone releases a die supporting both - which is pretty unlikely considering the very limited demand.

24. NexusMMM

25. grainysand

Plus, the current N1 uses the Qualcomm 8250, which doesn't do CDMA at all. If the one Verizon's handling comes with a 8650 chip, though, it may be able to do both CDMA and GSM.