• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [guide] How to manually downgrade firmware build 6.01.605.05 and newer

Well, I just made it all the way through after falling asleep mid-way, lol, and it worked. A couple of things I was confused about; one was I didn't understand the difference between points 4 and 5...they seem to be the same. I mostly followed 5 simply because it came first.

umm... that was a typo :eek:

sorry for the confusion,ill jump back there and edit it now.

glad it worked out for you :)

Reactions: magdelaine
Upvote 0
I get stuck in a bootloop at the lock screen after the first tacoroot.sh --setup command. It doesn't stay on long enough to get the --root command in. I have repeated the process a couple of times and always get stuck at the same place.

Any suggestions?

did you get to the stock recovery(red triangle and !) and reboot from there as described?

if the phone still has the stock recovery,you might try a factory reset in hboot.

failing that,some specific info about the phone may help(build number,baseband,hboot,etc.) as well as any other things you may have tried or modded

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0
I have been working on this all night and followed all the directions. I now have the correct boot loader and Gingerbread 2.3.3

I am trying to load ICS rom from this link: (Rom)(Leak) 7.01.605.01 Verizon Vivow Ics Sense 3.6 *8.21.12 - xda-developers

and cannot figure out how to load the rom. I started into fastboot. then selected recovery and get the red triange with the ! in it... what am I doing wrong here?

Upvote 0
I have been working on this all night and followed all the directions. I now have the correct boot loader and Gingerbread 2.3.3

I am trying to load ICS rom from this link: (Rom)(Leak) 7.01.605.01 Verizon Vivow Ics Sense 3.6 *8.21.12 - xda-developers

and cannot figure out how to load the rom. I started into fastboot. then selected recovery and get the red triange with the ! in it... what am I doing wrong here?

just making sure... you did run revolutionary,correct? if not thats the first step. you need to run it and achieve s-off. the program typically will install clockwork for you(not my first choice either)

but as long as you are s-off,you can install a recovery of your choice in hboot,then use the recovery to flash your rom.

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0
I don't know what I did but I'm still on 2.3.4 but somehow managed to install Clockworkmod but I still have S-on and I can't follow your downgrade instructions because clockworkmod is loading instead of the standard triangle and ! mark. Scotty can you help PLEASE? PS. I've also installed superuser however no apps are showing and neither are any options really.

Upvote 0
I got to step 4. However, when I pasted "md5sums RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Ra dio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_si.zip" into the C:\miniadb_inc2> prompt, I get "Error: unable to file/directory RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_Verizon_WWE_2.118.605.3_Ra"

What to do?

read the blue lettering after the command ;)
should return cea499f51b40055ffd118960e1e73255. if youh ave trouble here,search the pasted line for spaces that shouldnt be there.

you have a space between the "Ra" and "dio" :)

Upvote 0
I get through to Step 4: "fastboot getvar mainver it should output 2.18.605.3 if it does,then procede. if not,something above was not entered correctly,and the downgrade will not flash. reboot your phone using the command fastboot reboot and start again at step 5.

if you did get 2.18.605.3 then continue:

fastboot erase cache"

I don't get "2.18.605.3", although I keep rebooting and starting step 4 over (you did mean step 4, right? There is no step 5). What to do?

Upvote 0
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Mike>cd c:\miniadb_inc2

c:\miniadb_inc2>cd c:\miniadb_inc2md5sums RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2
.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_si.zip
The system cannot find the path specified.

c:\miniadb_inc2>md5sums RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.
09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_si.zip

MD5sums 1.2 freeware for Win9x/ME/NT/2000/XP+
Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Jem Berkes - PC-Tools.Net: Tools and utilities for Windows, Unix/Linux, DOS
Type md5sums -h for help

[Path] / filename MD5 sum
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[c:\miniadb_inc2\]
RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2... 100% cea499f51b40055ffd118960e1e73255

c:\miniadb_inc2>
c:\miniadb_inc2>md5sums 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip

Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Jem Berkes - PC-Tools.Net: Tools and utilities for Windows, Unix/Linux, DOS
Type md5sums -h for help

1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip 100% ea6b98be48210d7797e62362f49ff751

c:\miniadb_inc2>md5sums tacoroot.sh

Type md5sums -h for help

tacoroot.sh 6ec06d776feb212d8b2a55817eddf76d

c:\miniadb_inc2>md5sums misc_version

Type md5sums -h for help

misc_version 050f55d34ddbcc860efa5982491437de

c:\miniadb_inc2>adb devices
List of devices attached
HT0CDHJ02098 device

c:\miniadb_inc2>adb push tacoroot.sh /data/local/
148 KB/s (2129 bytes in 0.014s)

c:\miniadb_inc2>adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tacoroot.sh

c:\miniadb_inc2>adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.sh --setup
TacoRoot: HTC Edition v1
By Justin Case (jcase)
Presented by TeamAndIRC, RootzWiki and AndroidPolice
With great assistance from Reid Holland (Erishasnobattery)
----------
TacoRoot: HTC Edition v1 is based on a vulnerability independently discovered by

both Justin Case and Dan Rosenberg (Rosenberg first). I believe unrevoked and
AlpahRev were also aware of it.
----------
Usage:
--recovery : For this exploit to work, you must have booted recovery at least on
ce after your last factory reset.
--setup : Setup the phone for root, must be done before --root.
--root : Root the phone.
--undo : Remove TacoRoot.
----------
Rebooting into recovery, please press Volume+, Volume- and Power at the same tim
e, and reboot the system.
rm failed for /data/data/recovery/log, No such file or directory

c:\miniadb_inc2>adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.sh --root
By Justin Case (jcase)
----------
TacoRoot: HTC Edition v1 is based on a vulnerability independently discovered by

----------
Usage:
--recovery : For this exploit to work, you must have booted recovery at least on
----------
Rebooting into root.

c:\miniadb_inc2>adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp/misc_version
104 KB/s (367096 bytes in 3.415s)

c:\miniadb_inc2>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version

c:\miniadb_inc2>adb shell /data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3
--set_version set. VERSION will be changed to: 2.18.605.3
Not a valid EMMC device

c:\miniadb_inc2>adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.sh --undo
By Justin Case (jcase)
----------

----------
Usage:
----------
Root removed, rebooting

c:\miniadb_inc2>adb reboot bootloader

c:\miniadb_inc2>fastboot devices
HT0CDHJ02098 fastboot

c:\miniadb_inc2>fastboot getvar mainver
mainver: 4.08.605.2
finished. total time: 0.010s

c:\miniadb_inc2>

Upvote 0
c:\miniadb_inc2>adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp/misc_version
104 KB/s (367096 bytes in 3.415s)

c:\miniadb_inc2>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version

c:\miniadb_inc2>adb shell /data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3
--set_version set. VERSION will be changed to: 2.18.605.3
Not a valid EMMC device <- :eek:

what device are you trying to use this guide on? an original droid incrredibile?

this guide is for the incredible 2(vivo_w) only. do not use it for other devices.

if you are working with an original incredible,you need this guide: http://androidforums.com/incredible...ow-unlock-downgrade-achieve-s-off-htcdev.html

Upvote 0
I thought the DINC2 *was* the original DINC. Not good. My bad.

Okay, so I'm looking at the other thread, and it says that "htcdev unlock WILL wipe your personal data". How to I back-up this data to re-load it, or can I. Also, I'm not sure which personal data this refers to. I know that there's no warranty left for this phone, so that's not a problem, but I'm fanatically concerned about bricking the phone and losing my contacts, etc. I also hate having to re-install apps from my remembrance of what I had before, and set up my desktop the way I had it from before. Not a dealbreaker, if I can get rid of that damned "Out of memory" error, but I'd like to be able to back up this info so I don't have to re-customize my desktop and apps.

Am I expecting too much here?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones