• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[GUIDE] ***How-To Root Using rwilco12's One-Click Repack Kernel & SuperUser***

The easiest way to root the phone is to use the stock fj12 Odin one click rooted package in the other thread. It with get you rooted but you will not have a custom recovery.

A custom recovery is required to perform the nandroid backup. And on this phone the only way to get a custom recovery is to flash a kernel with the recovery built in( yeah I'm not happy about it either) but agat has several stock kernels with recoveries packed in called repack kernels like the one here in this thread. Then if you want to go the custom kernel route with new features you can download agats custom kernel for the epic 4g touch or the kuban kernel for the epic 4g touch which is what I am using.

All of them have similar kernels that should be compatible with backups made from different ones!

And if you ever get your phone to where it can't boot, as long as you can get into Odin/download mode (volume down + power button) you can flash the stock fj12 Odin one click package to get back to complete stock!! Pretty nice fail safe!

Reactions: Daviedog
Upvote 0
Hey there thanks for all the info I'm not new to modding games consoles and such but fairly new to Android modding. Just had a couple quick questions. should some sort of nand backup be done in there somewhere? if so, when's the best time to do so? Also, would it be okay to use a newer recovery kernel then the 1 you suggested? from : rwilco12.androidfilehost.com/?dir=Kernels/Recovery%20Kernels/ICS/Agats%20Recovery/One-Click Thank you in advance btw this is an excellent phone for $35 a month...... :D

I am not sure about that. A developer such as b_randon14 or another person with more knowledge will be able to answer that question better..

But I did want to share in this thread that if anyone does have issues or runs into problems while rooting or while being brave with new kernels or something, there is a way to get back to a rooted stock ROM with Odin as shared in this link by chri81 found here: http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-4g-all-things-root/658471-link-stock-vm-rom-sgs2.html
Much thanks to him! :D

Upvote 0
The easiest way to root the phone is to use the stock fj12 Odin one click rooted package in the other thread. It with get you rooted but you will not have a custom recovery.

A custom recovery is required to perform the nandroid backup. And on this phone the only way to get a custom recovery is to flash a kernel with the recovery built in( yeah I'm not happy about it either) but agat has several stock kernels with recoveries packed in called repack kernels like the one here in this thread. Then if you want to go the custom kernel route with new features you can download agats custom kernel for the epic 4g touch or the kuban kernel for the epic 4g touch which is what I am using.

All of them have similar kernels that should be compatible with backups made from different ones!

And if you ever get your phone to where it can't boot, as long as you can get into Odin/download mode (volume down + power button) you can flash the stock fj12 Odin one click package to get back to complete stock!! Pretty nice fail safe!

Right on, thanx for the info. Will try a few things when I get home from work this evening. Thanx again, to b_randon14, TheBritton and chri81.. :)

Reactions: b_randon14
Upvote 0
TheBritton
Worked great! I even removed the yellow triangle and count.
So i geuss were waiting on some custom kernel's to be developed at this point eh, and or a virgin specific JB rom or image to upgrade the os. Anyway thanks again.

btw, i was curious about the best things you or the majority of people do once they have root access on this model phone?

Reactions: TheBritton
Upvote 0
btw, i was curious about the best things you or the majority of people do once they have root access on this model phone?

First thing I do is install Titanium Backup :) I use it to freeze bloatware apps though this phone doesn't come with much. If you flash a rom it's great for restoring apps and their data. I also use AdFree but I don't think I'm supposed to mention apps like that here so.. uh.. I don't use that app. Forget I mentioned it. I also used to use SetCPU but I use CPU Master Pro now. It's great for overclocking, underclocking, undervolting etc.

Upvote 0
First thing I do is install Titanium Backup :) I use it to freeze bloatware apps though this phone doesn't come with much. If you flash a rom it's great for restoring apps and their data. I also use AdFree but I don't think I'm supposed to mention apps like that here so.. uh.. I don't use that app. Forget I mentioned it. I also used to use SetCPU but I use CPU Master Pro now. It's great for overclocking, underclocking, undervolting etc.

Thanks man, great info. Was just trying to figure out what processes are ok to stop/delete/or freeze, when I saw your post. Been doing lots of searching and reading.I think I got er figured out ......mostly :eek: send me a pm, if need be. I am fairly new at this, so any other resources,references,tutorials or advice would be greatly appreciated.oh and can always donate Some money towards the development of this phone. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks man, great info. Was just trying to figure out what processes are ok to stop/delete/or freeze, when I saw your post. Been doing lots of searching and reading.I think I got er figured out ......mostly :eek: send me a pm, if need be. I am fairly new at this, so any other resources,references,tutorials or advice would be greatly appreciated.oh and can always donate Some money towards the development of this phone. :)

Just back up everything before you freeze and especially if you uninstall. I would freeze instead of uninstall when it comes to system apps. The only reason to uninstall would be to gain more memory but this phone seems to have plenty. I froze Touchwhiz Launcher first thing since I use Nova Prime. I also froze gallery3d, browser, and Email since I use Quickpic, Boat Browser, and I only use the Gmail app :)
Oh and protips.apk is safe to freeze or remove. Its just the home screen tips that are on the screen when you first boot up your phone after you buy it.

Upvote 0
Alright. I bought this phone a couple weeks ago and felt kind of iffy on rooting it cause I never found any definite methods. This one worked and was the easiest root I've encountered. I previously had an LG Optimus V rooted and I had it running ColdAsIce I believe. Worked great.

I had two apps on my phone, Plants vs Zombies and Minecraft Pocket Edition installed on the SD card of my phone before I rooted and when I rebooted my phone, the apps wouldn't load. I'm guessing this root doesn't allow access to apps on the SD card. But I was able to uninstall them, but I can't reinstall.

I was reading through this thread seeing that there were some errors with the apps on SD not working. Hopefully it gets fixed soon, or there is a fix.

Upvote 0
Fyi
Maybe I did something wrong but after flashing Jellybean, I returned to stock temporarily to re-provision my account with the "Link to Rooted Stock ROM" thread in the All Things Root section.
I wanted to test out the backup/restore functions of this recovery so I then installed Agats recovery using this One-Click kernel method. After doing so, restoring a nandroid backup made earlier with this kernel and recovery did not work. It stuck on "Checking MD5 Sum" and I waited for over 30 minutes. I made the backup with this recovery and attempted the restore with this recovery. Has anyone else experienced same results in restoring a backup?

Upvote 0
Fyi
Maybe I did something wrong but after flashing Jellybean, I returned to stock temporarily to re-provision my account with the "Link to Rooted Stock ROM" thread in the All Things Root section.
I wanted to test out the backup/restore functions of this recovery so I then installed Agats recovery using this One-Click kernel method. After doing so, restoring a nandroid backup made earlier with this kernel and recovery did not work. It stuck on "Checking MD5 Sum" and I waited for over 30 minutes. I made the backup with this recovery and attempted the restore with this recovery. Has anyone else experienced same results in restoring a backup?

Yeah. I had the same problem as well. I'm restoring because I must have did something wrong with the PA install from the Walkthrough for CM10 JB thread cause the MMS didn't work so I just decided I wanted to go back to stock. I'm trying to restore but it says "no files found" and its stuck on Checking MD5 sum. I think this has to do with maybe because we flashed the EG30 kernel thing or whatever. I'm going to install FJ12 again via garwynn's method.

Edit: Actually, the restore went through. But I wasn't in AGAT recovery. I believe I was in CWM after installing PA. But after I restored, I tried to restore from an earlier backup through AGAT and I was stuck at the Checking MD5.

Upvote 0
I purchased it probably over a month ago, and after all the flashes I've done, never had to use it.... Yet

Hmm... I just didn't want to see the yellow triangle when I turned on my phone. I rooted my S2 a while back but I haven't gotten the chance to try the app until tonight.

Why not use the app? Is it not necessary? Like I said, I did it tonight just to take away that yellow triangle.

Upvote 0
The Triangle Away app is necessary because I had files trigger the yellow triangle and it works. Nothing wrong with having the yellow triangle if you're not planning on returning the phone but seeing it annoys me haha so I have to get rid of it ;) The Triangle Away app doesn't seem to work on the FL14 leaked JB stock rom though but it does on ICS. Not sure about CM10 or other JB based roms. I've only had the yellow triangle pop up when flashing some kernels with Odin but not roms.. not sure why.

Upvote 0
And the Yellow Triangle app is necessary because I had files trigger the yellow triangle and it works. The Yelow Triangle app doesn't seem to work on the FL14 leaked JB stock rom though but it does on ICS. Not sure about CM10 or other JB based roms. I've only had the yellow triangle pop up when flashing some kernels with Odin but not roms.. not sure why.

That answers my wondering question then. I've flashed dozens of roms and the safe recovery kernel numerous of times but my flash count still sits at 0 via triangle away and wondered this myself.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones