• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE][LGNPST] Alternate V6 Restore Method [Updated 5-24-11]

I have a refurbished ally on the way and i need to return it to stock to send it back in. However i have followed the steps exactly and when it comes to registering the .dll file it will not register. It says it cannot be found. I can plug it in and LGNPST will pick it up but it cant do anything without the dll file. Its now stuck at the downloading do not unplug screen. I have also tried the unbrick method and it wont stay connected past 4%. Would it be ok to send back like it is. In other words is there any trace of it being rooted and everything else since i flashed the cab file. It just wont update basically through the unbrick method.

Thanks for any help

Upvote 0
I'm having an problem with using LGNPST..followed the instructions but when my phone is plugged in it shows in the model as unknown. the provision tab is on emergency and I cant click on upgrade because it is greyed out.

Any ideas on what I should do would be appreciated.
I am having the same problem any help would be great because i have tried everything else that i can think of and nothing is working right, thanks

Upvote 0
If you are already on 2.2.2 why would you go through all the troubles of downgrading? To get fastboot back? The only time you should need to downgrade to get Velocity 1.1 is if you are running a Pre-2.2.1 custom rom, and need to downgrade/go back to stock to apply the 2.2.1 radio update.

If you have fastboot (if the phone wasn't shipped to you with 2.2.2) you can just run FroyoLiteWin and fastboot everything in.

Since you have 2.2.2 already you could even just root with gingerbreak and then just flash velocity

I'm confused. I thought I was here to go back to 2.1, because I couldn't root my phone if I had the update. I have 2.2.2 right now and I want to root. Are you saying to just use gingerbreak?

Upvote 0
The 1st time i used this it tuck less then 5mints and i was thinking i did something wrong big time...but it all worked like you told us it wold and it was way way way faster then 20mints and now im haveing to use this with my and my moms phones because we need new ones will right now im using windows developer preview and i will also be testing to see if it work good with this and if it does i will let you know in a few days... thank you for this man it works good and fast and if i ever need to go back to OTA then this is what i will use :D

Upvote 0
ok today is january 7 2012
i have a great deal of success rooting and unlocking other phones like the moto-atrix the samsung intercept and such but this lg ally with stock 2.2.2 is driving me bonkers soo
i have some phone specs too if needed to answer my questions
1rst i rooted with gingerbreak apk
successfully ; however my quandry is
that rom manager pro doesnt do crap
for it tried to flash recovery and it never goes into recovery mode Ever just the factory recovery android with an! then it reboots all back up ok i need to know if this will downgrade stock 2.2.2 to 2.2.1
to be able to flash a recovery and install
a custom rom and such ... there got to be a way

Upvote 0
I bricked my poor Ally trying to update it.

When I power on, it shows the Death Head followed by a short Verizon animation followed by a black screen followed by the Death Head......over and over and over until I pull the battery.

I tried procedure at the head of this thread. The installs all went perfectly but the phone will not connect. The PC makes some noise each time the animation starts but nothing happens.

I tried the holding the Vol UP/Home/END keys. I get a recovery screen of sorts but none of the keys work.

Is my phone well and truely dead or is there something else to do?

--Update--

Its Alive!

I found some newer USB drivers for the Ally. Installed them. LGNPST suddenly worked.

Color me amazed and greatful.

Upvote 0
im stuck on step 19. when using folder to browse for the bin i go to the bin folder and it appears empty but when i go directly to it from explorer VS740ZV6_01.TOT is there why cant i use it any solutions

STEP 17: Where it says BIN File, click the folder button and browse to the BIN folder in the LGNPST directory on your Desktop.

STEP 18: In the Open BIN File window type: *.* in the File Name box.

STEP 19: Click the VS740ZV6_01.TOT file then click Open.

Upvote 0
I don't have access to a Windows computer, only a Mac. I bricked my phone a couple months ago, how I'm not exactly sure. Was running StormDroid 2.x, and I know my phone wouldn't go into recovery unless I did it from inside the ROM (holding down the power button, and u get power off, airplane mode, reboot, and recovery) before I even put StormDroid on it (I'd bounced around between Velocity 1.2.1/2 and Bionix). That means PWR+option+call when the phone is off doesn't work. Anyway, now when I turn it on, it shows the red "StormDroid" shiny lettering and stays there, not rebooting, not entering the Android OS, just sitting there. Well I upgraded to the Droid 4, and so my LG Ally is off contract. I would like to use it as an mp3 player, but first have to unbrick. Any help?

Upvote 0
I signed up to these forums just to say thank you for this fantastic guide. I followed the steps exact and even flashed back to stock recovery and I now have my LG Ally back to full stock 2.1 (V6).

The ONLY problem I have had is that I have yet to receive any updates. My LG Ally (when rooted) was on 2.2.2 and using *#*#2432546#*#* does not work in forcing an update.

Any advice?

Upvote 0
I signed up to these forums just to say thank you for this fantastic guide. I followed the steps exact and even flashed back to stock recovery and I now have my LG Ally back to full stock 2.1 (V6).

The ONLY problem I have had is that I have yet to receive any updates. My LG Ally (when rooted) was on 2.2.2 and using *#*#2432546#*#* does not work in forcing an update.

Any advice?

I am trying to find a solution after back dating with LGNPST back to 2.1 to get updated to at least 2.2.1.

LG Mobile Support Tool no longer supports LGVS740.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones