• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Halp, my fellow Motioners!! I can't make up mah mind!

I am looking to jump the LG Motion/MetroPOS ship and get faster speeds for a lower price, or just a lower price. :p

My first thought was the Galaxy S II for Virgin Mobile on the $35 plan. 300 Minutes, Unlimited everything else. The SII has some good roms (freedom!) and a good dev community, thats my big plus... and its $20 less than what I'm paying now with unlimited 4G WiMAX.

Then I saw a nice video on the SIII vs the Nexus 4, and thats where I fell in love...

The Nexus 4 on T-Mobile's $30 BYOD plan. :eek: 100 Minutes, Unlimited extremely fast HPSA+ and everything else. And regular updates from Google! :dancing:

Heres where it gets tricky.

My mom has my old Admire after coming from the Samsung Messager III and she has become very fond of her Droid, but she wants to save money too. We are on the family plan, and at $50 per phone, minus per $5 line, plus a $6 convenience fee and tax, it comes to over $100.

I don't talk much, but she does. I was thinking of going to T-Mobile and getting the Nexus 4 on the BYOD $30 plan for myself, and my mom grabs a cheap 3G Android (Kyocera Event?) on Virgin's $35 or $45 plan.

Does this sound like a good plan? Should I be jumping ship now? Is there any good reason I should stay on Metro, other than the fact that T-Mobile and Metro may merge?

@Mods:
If you really have to move this to another forum, then please atleast let my Motion friends give their input first :D

Reactions: daxel
+1 Im sticking around to see what happens after the merger.
don't wanna lose my grandfathered plan (it was the first 4g plan), that's the main reason I'm staying. I don't wanna leave then be like daym should have stayed.

But if you don't have a grandfathered plan or anything you'd like to hold on with metro. I say go for it.

I must confess, I feel like making a persuasive case so you can stay. It would suck to lose such an active member from the motion forums
But Good Luck.

Upvote 0
I am looking to jump the LG Motion/MetroPOS ship and get faster speeds for a lower price, or just a lower price. :p

My first thought was the Galaxy S II for Virgin Mobile on the $35 plan. 300 Minutes, Unlimited everything else. The SII has some good roms (freedom!) and a good dev community, thats my big plus... and its $20 less than what I'm paying now with unlimited 4G WiMAX.

Then I saw a nice video on the SIII vs the Nexus 4, and thats where I fell in love...

The Nexus 4 on T-Mobile's $30 BYOD plan. :eek: 100 Minutes, Unlimited extremely fast HPSA+ and everything else. And regular updates from Google! :dancing:

My mom has my old Admire after coming from the Samsung Messager III and she has become very fond of her Droid, but she wants to save money too. We are on the family plan, and at $50 per phone, minus per $5 line, plus a $6 convenience fee and tax, it comes to over $100.

I don't talk much, but she does. I was thinking of going to T-Mobile and getting the Nexus 4 on the BYOD $30 plan for myself, and my mom grabs a cheap 3G Android (Kyocera Event?) on Virgin's $35 or $45 plan.

Does this sound like a good plan? Should I be jumping ship now? Is there any good reason I should stay on Metro, other than the fact that T-Mobile and Metro may merge?

@Mods:
If you really have to move this to another forum, then please atleast let my Motion friends give their input first :D

All that And I get the admire................ XD

Upvote 0

@Mods:

Here we go how about this get a job right, doesn't even have to be mainstream. All you have to do is get paid 40 to 50 a month. That way you continue to have your metro line incase you want to come back. You have not given up your plan. Then goto boost, virgin or, tmo. Pay the 30 a month or 35

Upvote 0
If we lived in a perfect world, I would have a nexus by now. Any generation Nexus for that matter! They're all badd@$$. I like the GS3, but I've also read some incompatabilities with certain apps and whatnot... I agree w/ ninjas a/b the nexus as a beast. That was the phone I originally wanted to upgrade to from my admire, but found out that I'd either have to sign up with a 2-yr contract somehere (I've already been traumatized by verizon f*king me three ways from hell with that business) or pay almost 2 bills for one. Neither would fly round here, so here I am in the motion forum, partially thanks to your advice in the admire forum! I hear ya on wanting to upgrade though. This phone has a lot of potential, but thats about it-- PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG DEVS!!!:rofl: With the locked boot loader not getting anywhere, thereby lack of range in variety of custom roms (not to knock anyone's rom, but mostly they're just slimmed down with a few tweeks... I understand that it's difficult to acheive anything else with the locked bootloader/ lack of ability to successfully flash different kernels and the sort), and the inability to connect to a big screen--- it's more like a spruced-up 3G phone.:p I almost had the same capabilities with the admire on the OA rom! (Not quite though. The 4G, and dual core make a HUGE differrence.) But you're the dude who first convinced me to root my droid and got me hooked to this underground world of android. So do your thing homes, but just realize that you're a motherf*ker only cuz I wish I was in the position to upgrade too.:D

Upvote 0
If we lived in a perfect world, I would have a nexus by now. Any generation Nexus for that matter! They're all badd@$$. I like the GS3, but I've also read some incompatabilities with certain apps and whatnot... I agree w/ ninjas a/b the nexus as a beast. That was the phone I originally wanted to upgrade to from my admire, but found out that I'd either have to sign up with a 2-yr contract somehere (I've already been traumatized by verizon f*king me three ways from hell with that business) or pay almost 2 bills for one. Neither would fly round here, so here I am in the motion forum, partially thanks to your advice in the admire forum! I hear ya on wanting to upgrade though. This phone has a lot of potential, but thats about it-- PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG DEVS!!!:rofl: With the locked boot loader not getting anywhere, thereby lack of range in variety of custom roms (not to knock anyone's rom, but mostly they're just slimmed down with a few tweeks... I understand that it's difficult to acheive anything else with the locked bootloader/ lack of ability to successfully flash different kernels and the sort), and the inability to connect to a big screen--- it's more like a spruced-up 3G phone.:p I almost had the same capabilities with the admire on the OA rom! (Not quite though. The 4G, and dual core make a HUGE differrence.) But you're the dude who first convinced me to root my droid and got me hooked to this underground world of android. So do your thing homes, but just realize that you're a motherf*ker only cuz I wish I was in the position to upgrade too.:D

So true..... Still have your admire? :D

Upvote 0
If i'm right, it's a service that runs on AT&T'S and t-mobiles towers. You pick a SIM of what service you want. So say you want T-Mobile SIM on Nexus 4 using Straight talk. You'll get HSPA+. Also, i've been thinking of getting Straight Talk soon, too. Apparently T-Mobile doesn't slow down your speeds, but ATT does.Hope this helped somehow!​

Yes... Yes.... But simple also has cdma devices.... on cdma networks...

Upvote 0
wait... i thought you were thinking of getting the spirit? or was it the SGS3?

Yeah, I was going to get a GSIII, but as I said in that post, wirefly was giving me the run around as to where it was. I was tired of the run around so I asked for my money back. When I asked for my money back they magically found it and said it was held up at a processing center (doubt it, they just wanted my money, bastards) but I had my sights set on the Nexus 4 by then and I got my money credited back to my card...

Nexus 4 just seems like a great deal. Awesome specs, $300, no bloat, and regular updates from Google :D

Upvote 0
If i'm right, it's a service that runs on AT&T'S and t-mobiles towers. You pick a SIM of what service you want. So say you want T-Mobile SIM on Nexus 4 using Straight talk. You'll get HSPA+. Also, i've been thinking of getting Straight Talk soon, too. Apparently T-Mobile doesn't slow down your speeds, but ATT does.Hope this helped somehow!​

he was talking about simple mobile, different MNVO :)

Yes... Yes.... But simple also has cdma devices.... on cdma networks...

no simple mobile is 100% gsm

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones