• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handcent SMS: Best I've Used!

billyd380

Lurker
Apr 8, 2010
Handcent SMS is by far the best SMS application I have used on my Droid Eris. The customization and ease of use lets anyone just pick it up and start typing. Oh! and if you don't want to type, no problem. It has a Voice to Text feature too!! It does take some time getting used to it and you have to speak clear and slow but it works! The pop feature is one of my favorites. You can choose to do a quick reply, insert auto text or use the Voice to Text. So I you're looking for a replacement SMS application and you want to have Threaded messages, Voice to Text, POP UP messages with quick reply then Handcent SMS is for you!!

can anyone help - I have a HTC Desire, I need an app that will inform me I have a message or email but not show anything in the notification bar. I regularly receive texts but some times leave my phone lying around the house, when i get a text sometimes a family member will pick it up and they have site of who it is from and part of the actual message its self
when I turn the notification bar off for receiving messages it also wont allow me to have a sound notification
or vibrate. So I usually have to guess that i have received a reply. If you can help it will be appreciated

Upvote 0
can anyone help - I have a HTC Desire, I need an app that will inform me I have a message or email but not show anything in the notification bar. I regularly receive texts but some times leave my phone lying around the house, when i get a text sometimes a family member will pick it up and they have site of who it is from and part of the actual message its self
when I turn the notification bar off for receiving messages it also wont allow me to have a sound notification or vibrate. So I usually have to guess that i have received a reply. If you can help it will be appreciated

What if you turned off the popup? You could uncheck notifications as well. But then how would you know you have a text? Why not set a security PIN on your phone or use a lock pattern?

I just took a look at popup options. There is a privacy mode option. With it enabled it says "message content will only be shown after unlock."

It appears there is a lot of customization available.

Reactions: 6036craig
Upvote 0
I've been using Handcent almost since I got my Moto Droid (about 5 months, 2.2 upgrade about a week ago), and also find it a great program. This past week, I got the update notice for it, and allowed the download. The download started, the bar went all the way (100% downloaded), then got stuck there. Every time I'd open downloads, it would open to the same spot. I tried uninstalling, then reinstall from the market, but couldn't, got stuck at the same spot. I emailed the developer, told me to try a reset, which I did, no improvement. I was able to reinstall from a backup on my SD card, and have been declining updates since. I did email the developer again after the unsuccessful reset, but didn't hear back. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
I had this app when I first got my Moment in April w/ 1.5, but after upgrading to 2.1 the program began to fail on many levels. It was buggy and caused my phone to not recieve calls, messages would say "Not Sent" when in fact they were, and the most annoying aspect was that when it did send texts, it sent them in clusters of 3.

Also, if I turned my phone off or the battery died, upon rebooting, it would send old messages to recipients from weeks prior.

Upvote 0
I've been using Handcent almost since I got my Moto Droid (about 5 months, 2.2 upgrade about a week ago), and also find it a great program.

I had the same story, however after 2.2, Handcent I believe could quite possibly be why my phone was self restarting as it has not done it once since I went to chomp.

My HTC inc is also faster and basically seems to work as it should.

I'm using a live screensaver "aquarium donation" and no task manager anymore.... all is well.

Chomp was very similar in options to HC.. almost like they copy each other.. however chomp is lighter on its feet and actually works on all levels.. so far I haven't found any bugs... I can delete threads with no problem "unlike Handcent" and I do believe its written better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones