• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hang on tight : Speed of LIGHT!

So nothing with mass can travel at the speed of light.

i would say that you misread einstein, dr. mon. may I call you early? You see early, what einstein actually said was that nothing can accelerate to the speed of light because its mass would become infinite. einstein said nothing about entities already traveling at the speed of light or faster.

Upvote 0
Wow - I actually typed that. OK, good catch. :D

I read him just fine, although I've always hated working through GR equations, SR is much easier.

Now - actually saying things without putting my foot in my mouth, that's another matter.

Anyway, yes, you are correct, sah, and Early will do just fine. :)

whisper.gif
it was another movie reference

Upvote 0
it wasn't a typo, it was another pop culture reference...

why don't people get my references :thinking: takes all the fun out to have to explain :(

Futurama.

George Takei: You see, the show was banned after the Star Trek wars.
Captain Zapp Brannigan: You mean the mass migration of Star Wars fans?
Nichelle Nichols: No, that was the Star Wars trek.

My favorite quote

Second favorite quote

Upvote 0
it wasn't a typo, it was another pop culture reference...

why don't people get my references :thinking: takes all the fun out to have to explain :(

I feel you on this one.

In fact, I felt you before you typed it (OK, that sounds a little gross) because pop culture references are the only thing that spreads faster than light...oh yeah, and viral videos.

Upvote 0
Woe, this thread is still around? Bahahahaha... that's some funny shit right there!

Just in case anyone was wondering, that was not a serious question. That's my smart ass question I ask when I'm dealing with someone giving me some 'tude'... like say for instance I'm in an upscale mens clothing store and the salesman is some stuck up prick who feels he has better things to do than help me, he might say something like, "I don't think we have anything here that will fit you, are there any other questions"? Then I'd fire back, "yeah I have a question for ya, if you were driving at night at the speed of light with your headlights on.... would you be able to see where you were going"? And then watch their expression change to befuddlement.

So anyways, about that video on page one about time slowing down when you reach speeds close to the speed of light... I remember learning about that way back in high school, and from then until now ai still can't wrap my head around this. Say for instance if I were to get into a car and tell my buddy that I'm going to take a quick spin around the earth at just about the speed of light (Don't worry, I know this is completely unrealistic, but just for the sake of examples ), logic would seem to dictate that as soon as I closed the door I would open it right back up again as I'd already be back.

But according to what science tells us, I wouldn't pull back up for years... I'm sorry but that's never made sense to me. If I'm traveling at 188,000 miles per second, then why wouldn't I pull right back up again? In other words if two jet planes were racing around the earth, one at the speed of sound and the other at the speed of light, the one going the speed of sound would cross the finish line years before the jet going close to the speed of light?

Yeah, that's baffling to me.

Upvote 0
Woe, this thread is still around? Bahahahaha... that's some funny shit right there!

Just in case anyone was wondering, that was not a serious question. That's my smart ass question I ask when I'm dealing with someone giving me some 'tude'... like say for instance I'm in an upscale mens clothing store and the salesman is some stuck up prick who feels he has better things to do than help me, he might say something like, "I don't think we have anything here that will fit you, are there any other questions"? Then I'd fire back, "yeah I have a question for ya, if you were driving at night at the speed of light with your headlights on.... would you be able to see where you were going"? And then watch their expression change to befuddlement.

So anyways, about that video on page one about time slowing down when you reach speeds close to the speed of light... I remember learning about that way back in high school, and from then until now ai still can't wrap my head around this. Say for instance if I were to get into a car and tell my buddy that I'm going to take a quick spin around the earth at just about the speed of light (Don't worry, I know this is completely unrealistic, but just for the sake of examples ), logic would seem to dictate that as soon as I closed the door I would open it right back up again as I'd already be back.

But according to what science tells us, I wouldn't pull back up for years... I'm sorry but that's never made sense to me. If I'm traveling at 188,000 miles per second, then why wouldn't I pull right back up again? In other words if two jet planes were racing around the earth, one at the speed of sound and the other at the speed of light, the one going the speed of sound would cross the finish line years before the jet going close to the speed of light?

Are you trying to give me a headache?!?!?!:D

Upvote 0
how can 2 things touch???

if a distance between object A and B...
can be cut in half.. as the objects get closer...
but all distance can always be cut in half...
so.. there will always be some distance between them...

how can A touch B...

so.. when I punch you in the face.. but I never touched you.
so.. it never happened!

Upvote 0

how can A touch B...

so.. when I punch you in the face.. but I never touched you.
so.. it never happened!

Because of quantum physics we now know that matter and energy propagate through space by means of making little quantum "leaps". For example when electrons move from one orbit to another they instantly disappear from one place and reappear in another. There is no "travelling" in the conventional sense.

So don't punch anyone unless you intend for it to happen ;)

Upvote 0
Say for instance if I were to get into a car and tell my buddy that I'm going to take a quick spin around the earth at just about the speed of light (Don't worry, I know this is completely unrealistic, but just for the sake of examples ), logic would seem to dictate that as soon as I closed the door I would open it right back up again as I'd already be back.

Science never said that, something's cross-wired there. You'd finish the trip in about 1/8 of a second, assuming you weren't a windshield bug inside the vehicle from the sudden acceleration and deceleration. For those you left behind and returned to, a slightly longer time would have elapsed.

BTW, that's 186,000 miles/second, probably you knew that, mentioning it in case it's not a typo.

But everyone would have been dead long before, including you, because I think you'd have to be within an event horizon to travel at near that speed in a circle.

PS - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeno%27s_paradoxes - personally, I've _always_ considered Aristotle an idiot.

Upvote 0

how can A touch B...

Oh my God! I think of that almost every time I'm driving somewhere but my take is like this:
If you reduce your speed so you are always 1 hour from a destination(say, 60 mph and 60 miles away, then you reduced your speed to match the distance constantly), you would always be 1 hour from your destination, you would always be moving toward your destination, yet you would never reach it. Try that one on the brain for a while...

Upvote 0
Oh my God! I think of that almost every time I'm driving somewhere but my take is like this:
If you reduce your speed so you are always 1 hour from a destination(say, 60 mph and 60 miles away, then you reduced your speed to match the distance constantly), you would always be 1 hour from your destination, yet you would never reach it nor would you ever stop moving toward your destination. Try that one on the brain for a while...

If you go by miles the last mile would take 1 hour and you would arrive at your destination. If you keep halving the distance you eventually reach a point so miniscule a fart would move the car enough to reach the destination and blow the experiment.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones