• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Happy New Year 2023 2024

olbriar

Jun 19, 2010
Land of Oz
I hope that 23 was a decent year for you and yours and 24 will be even better. Any special plans to ring in the new year? Any traditions that are always observed on the holiday? And how about those new year resolutions that your made and kept or plan to make and keep?

For a number of years, I've hosted a party at the cabin with friends to see the new year begin. I plan to do an abbreviated version of the party this year. My health won't allow me to do an over night gig but we are still gathering at the cabin the 31st. Two couples will spend the night and the rest of us, including me, will cut out early evening. I haven't seen my buds since Thanksgiving so I'm looking forward to sharing time with them.

I don't know that I've ever missed having black eyed peas on the first day of the year. I don't know that it's brought me good luck but I'm not flirting with disaster. :) I'll be having my traditional dish again this year.

I started and will be observing my new year's resolution made a month early this year. My diet has improved in an attempt to be healthier and I quit smoking a month back. My hand was forced but I'm calling it a resolution and saying it was entirely my idea. :) It makes a far better story. :ROFLMAO:

I hope you have something fun planned to ring in the new year. I'd love to hear of your plans and traditions. If you are traveling, please be safe. Happy New Year

Last edited:
We haven't done anything special on New Years Eve in a long time. We normally just go outside and watch the fireworks people are shooting off at midnight.

There use to be a sports bar about half a mile from our house and we would walk to it on New Years Eve. They would throw a New Years Eve party for $20 a person with all you can eat appetizers, $1 beer and live music .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Years ago while doing a remodel at a local university I was able to acquire the school's bell that was removed from the bell tower that no longer was structurally sound enough to house it. I built a stand and mounted it in my front yard and rang in the new year with it for decades. Here's a pic of the bell and my two youngest children that are now in their thirties.

DCP00022.JPG

Upvote 0
its too rainy and wet for an outdoor celebration we usually do. we would hike 2 mills up this hill where at the top you can see Disneyland and then in the distance you can see the Rose Bowl and both have epic fireworks shows. this year we might just hangout at somebody's house and drink past the ball dropping.

Reactions: AugieTN and olbriar
Upvote 0
New Years Eve I'll watch two balls drop: my eyeballs, dropping asleep long before midnight. I don't need some crystal ball in New York City to tell me when it's 2024. As for the next day, I'm from the South: so I've had black-eyed peas, collard greens and corn bread for New Years Day for as long as I can remember.

Grandma always told us that the collards are dollars and the peas are pennies: the more we eat, the more money we'll get that year. There's actually a lot of history and tradition behind the meal, of which many who enjoy it aren't aware. While we usually cook it fresh here at the house, I know the Trout Queen Darling Bride wants to go fly fishing that morning so we'll enjoy the dish at a local restaurant that will be open to serve up all the goods.

Upvote 0
Eh, I just want to go back to 2009, the year I met Daisy. When tech was neat and full of variety. 2020+ has been stagnant and boring. 2024 for me will be no different than 2023, 2022, 2021, or 2020. We still have full-on COVID crap (people masking, glass barriers at stores, social distancing propaganda, stores not taking cash anymore) going on in the city. I tend to shop in a 'Mayberry' style area that is stuck in 1964, where life feels somewhat normal.

Other than that, nothing special happens on New Years Eve or Day.

Upvote 0
Our city streets are already Times Square what with all those digital video ads, it's like having real life web advertising but without adblock to save you. Also hurts my eyes. I'm also not a human person. Put me with a group of deer I'm happy as can be, though.

New Years to me is like the switchover to and from Daylight Saving Time, pointless.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones