• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hard resetting/Powerwashing an android device

jdoe12839

Lurker
Jun 1, 2022
How do I go about powerwashing a Samsung phone (galaxy a01 to be specific) while skipping the Downloading... Please do not turn off the target screen? I have tried hard resetting it the normal way (holding down all 3 buttons while its booting) but I've always been interrupted by that blue downloading screen and it takes forever (i've been waiting more than 3 hours).

Edit:
I should probably include the fact that I forgot the password and can't unlock the phone

Reactions: Dannydet
^this.

If you don't know about factory reset protection, it's an anti-theft measure introduced in 2015. The logic behind it is to make theft less attractive: previously someone could steal a phone, reset it then use or sell it. With FRP the phone can't be used after a reset unless you enter the previous login details, making it less worthwhile for a thief to steal in the first place (if a legitimate owner wants to sell the phone they need to remove their account from it before doing a reset). This does however make it very important that you don't forget your password: by definition if there is any way for you to bypass this then a thief can use that too, which would make the whole thing pointless. Hence it is designed not to have any workarounds, and where a bug does allow a way the manufacturer tends to patch it as soon as they become aware.

Apple introduced a similar system a bit before Android, so I'm afraid it's been a long time since resetting has been a solution to a forgotten password on any phone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones