• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Has anybody noticed backup & restore improving?

bjacks12

Android Expert
Aug 8, 2012
Las Vegas
We all know that the effectiveness of Android's backup & restore feature has been shaky at best. Whenever I've done a factory reset, I always end up having to reinstall all my apps manually as well as enter all my wifi passwords, despite having the auto backup enabled.

Well, due to some battery life issues, I decided to do a reset tonight. After signing in, all of my saved networks appeared in the WiFi menu. After rebooting from switching to ART, it started downloading all of my apps again. This is the first time it's ever worked for me.

I feel like since KK, it's been pretty consistent. JB was shaky depending on the version (and ROM). Then I really had to rely on TiBu, but not so much anymore since it can jive with some apps, and really mess up those like Cerberus which they do let you know about.
I'm glad Gmail settings are backed up/restored, that's a nice touch.

This is super nit picky, but I wish that there was simply a pop up in Play upon a fresh boot asking you if you want your apps restored cause sometimes it takes a moment to get in there and stop the downloads if I'm using TiBu. In addition, for those who are on a limited data plan, for it only to restore those apps if they're on wifi.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones