• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

has anybody removed the limits on google maps precatching?

peppers

Jul 19, 2011
the precatch option in google maps under labs is useful but limited because you can only precatch a 10 mile radious 10 times.
I was hopeing someone has removed the limiter from this app so you can precatch as much as you like or even better let me precatch a 100 mile radious in one button press

anybody develop any kind of hack like this?

There was a similar post involving navigation apps and being able to cache for than the 10 miles.

There was a reply from someone who said that you can cache more using the system as it is.
from memory what he said was (I think), you long press and get the option to cache. you then move the map out in the direction you want to travel - say 8-9 miles, long press and selsct the cache option and repeat as many times as you want.

I've not tries it - I hardly ever use google maps, and I've not searched for that post, but it was to do with navigation and google maps.

I've probably just made things worst

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
There was a similar post involving navigation apps and being able to cache for than the 10 miles.

There was a reply from someone who said that you can cache more using the system as it is.
from memory what he said was (I think), you long press and get the option to cache. you then move the map out in the direction you want to travel - say 8-9 miles, long press and selsct the cache option and repeat as many times as you want.

So I'd probably have to do that something like 40 times, distance from Xilinhot to Beijing or Hohhot is approx. 400 miles. If there's no internet available, that means no maps or navigation data. Most people I know just use a cheap dedicated sat-nav, with the map data on an SD-card. The ones you just stick on the windscreen, plug-in and go.

I've not tries it - I hardly ever use google maps, and I've not searched for that post, but it was to do with navigation and google maps.

I've probably just made things worst

You've proved to me that Google navigation for long distance journeys kind of sucks. Probably be OK for local journeys though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones