Has anyone tried using the iPad AC Adapter to charge their Evo?

Last Updated:

1. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I feel like I'm dying waiting for my Evo to charge up connected to my laptop's USB port (yeah I know, paltry .5 A current, sigh).

It then occurred to me that there were some articles about the iPad not being able to properly charge on some USB ports because of the high current necessary to power it. It got me thinking, if we wanted to very, very quickly charge the Evo, why not use the iPad's 10 freakin' watt charger? (the review says it can switch between .5, 1, and 2.1 Amps output, at the usual 5v of course).

Has anyone given this a shot? Can we indeed use the full 2.1 amps to charge our Evos like no other?

Advertisement
  2. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

You can, but it's not without risk. The voltage is 2x what the phone is built to handle. Primary risk will be damage via overheating.

I don't recommend it. Scosche sells plenty of 1000mah rechargers via Amazon for a fair price.

3. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

Or you can get an ac battery charger. I got the one from seidio and it charges the battery much faster than in the phone.

4. NeoteriX

Er, huh?

Where do you see that? I'm under the impression that the voltage is always at 5 VDC, per the USB spec.

This is an AC battery charger... but for the iPad.

5. Vincent Law

Vincent Law Well-Known Member

It won't charge it any faster than the HTC AC adapter. It will only draw 1 amp, no more. No, it will not harm it.

6. NeoteriX

Ah, so you're saying by design, the Evo will only draw one amp?

Yeah I wasn't worried about the risk of a high current charger, but was wondering if the phone would even benefit from it at all.

7. axisofoil

axisofoil Well-Known Member

it won't benefit over it any more than the funky looking ac adapter that came with the phone.

8. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

If the output is 2.1A, then the Evo port will effectively reduce it to the 1mah charge it's designed for. The excess wattage then will be converted to heat. That is what transformers do. Since there's no device transformer, the result will be that heat is dissipated throughout the Evo. That may not be enough to harm the Evo, but what's the point of introducing unnecessary heat and power?

The Evo's designed to work under a range of conditions, but that doesn't mean it's good to do it to extreme when not needed. And certainly pushing more power into the charging port than is necessary isn't optimal or recommended. Otherwise HTC would clearly have said "charge with any power source."

9. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

10. gspam1

gspam1 Member

The Evo will only draw the amperage it needs. I have done this dozens of times so I only have to carry one little charging brick when I carry my iPad and Evo traveling. The Evo does not get any hotter then when charging with the factory charger.