• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Has anyone tried using the iPad AC Adapter to charge their Evo?

NeoteriX

Android Expert
May 13, 2010
I feel like I'm dying waiting for my Evo to charge up connected to my laptop's USB port (yeah I know, paltry .5 A current, sigh).

It then occurred to me that there were some articles about the iPad not being able to properly charge on some USB ports because of the high current necessary to power it. It got me thinking, if we wanted to very, very quickly charge the Evo, why not use the iPad's 10 freakin' watt charger? (the review says it can switch between .5, 1, and 2.1 Amps output, at the usual 5v of course).

Has anyone given this a shot? Can we indeed use the full 2.1 amps to charge our Evos like no other?

I feel like I'm dying waiting for my Evo to charge up connected to my laptop's USB port (yeah I know, paltry .5 A current, sigh).

It then occurred to me that there were some articles about the iPad not being able to properly charge on some USB ports because of the high current necessary to power it. It got me thinking, if we wanted to very, very quickly charge the Evo, why not use the iPad's 10 freakin' watt charger? (the review says it can switch between .5, 1, and 2.1 Amps output, at the usual 5v of course).

Has anyone given this a shot? Can we indeed use the full 2.1 amps to charge our Evos like no other?

You can, but it's not without risk. The voltage is 2x what the phone is built to handle. Primary risk will be damage via overheating.

I don't recommend it. Scosche sells plenty of 1000mah rechargers via Amazon for a fair price.

Upvote 0
You can, but it's not without risk. The voltage is 2x what the phone is built to handle. Primary risk will be damage via overheating.

I don't recommend it. Scosche sells plenty of 1000mah rechargers via Amazon for a fair price.
Er, huh?

Where do you see that? I'm under the impression that the voltage is always at 5 VDC, per the USB spec.

Or you can get an ac battery charger. I got the one from seidio and it charges the battery much faster than in the phone.

This is an AC battery charger... but for the iPad.

Upvote 0
If the output is 2.1A, then the Evo port will effectively reduce it to the 1mah charge it's designed for. The excess wattage then will be converted to heat. That is what transformers do. Since there's no device transformer, the result will be that heat is dissipated throughout the Evo. That may not be enough to harm the Evo, but what's the point of introducing unnecessary heat and power?

The Evo's designed to work under a range of conditions, but that doesn't mean it's good to do it to extreme when not needed. And certainly pushing more power into the charging port than is necessary isn't optimal or recommended. Otherwise HTC would clearly have said "charge with any power source."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones